DIY Fish Food leaching copper?

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received back my 2nd Triton ICP test, and unlike the first one I had a small presence of copper in my tank. Didn't think a whole lot about it, just assumed that it might be a false positive. Figured I'd start to worry if it still showed on my 3rd test. Well, I remembered I actually purchased the Hannah Cooper Test kit and never used it. So I decided to put it to the test. Sure enough, Hana Checker said my copper level in my DT was .06. Yikes!

So I tested my RO water with the checker and it read 0. My next step was to test my food. So I place some in a water and let it sit for 24 hours. Tested it with the Hana checker tonight and it read .03. So I'm thinking that MAYBE the issue is my fish food. Still not 100% convinced, as I'm going to do the experiment again tonight to convince myself. The reason it doesn't make since is I was using the same batch of fish food on the first Triton test that came up 0, that I was using on the second that came up .05 according to Triton.

Saying that, I've been making my own fish food to save some money. I kind of went at it blindly and mixed in whatever I thought the fish would like. My fish food is made up of salmon, shrimp, scalops, imitation crab legs, and some powdered foods like Reef Chili I purchased off of BRS to add some nutrients for the corals.

Anyways, I was wondering if any of those items sounds like they could be the culprit of the leaching copper, and if so..suggestions from other DIY Fish Food creators as to what ingredients you would and wouldn't recommend in my next batch of fish food.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im leaning towards the imitation crab meat....but heres a bump for you.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u still showing copper in the tank? Maybe some cupisorb to pull it out and see if levels rise again??

Back