DIY Floating Island

I for one appreciate the update as a point of reference ..
What size and type of magnets did you use ?
 
If you go to kj magnetics, they have plastic coated magnets, so they won't rust even if they get exposed somewhere.
 
I for one appreciate the update as a point of reference ..
What size and type of magnets did you use ?
I couldn’t tell you they came on the acrylic frag racks from eBay. I wouldn’t recommend the racks they aren’t designed well and the magnets come off all the time.
 
There are epoxy putty’s that dry purple which could be used to make your own shape rocks. I might give that a shot too since it’ll be light.
 
I really like this idea, but yeah, be really careful with bare magnets in-tank. They have all kinds of awful metals in them, and saltwater destroys them like nobody's business. I would always use something like a plastic coated magnet. Take a look at the excellent article on the articles page about magnets in the aquarium for some horror pics involving cheap magnet mounts.

The back mount with the popsicle sticks is brilliant. I really like that.
 
I really like this idea, but yeah, be really careful with bare magnets in-tank. They have all kinds of awful metals in them, and saltwater destroys them like nobody's business. I would always use something like a plastic coated magnet. Take a look at the excellent article on the articles page about magnets in the aquarium for some horror pics involving cheap magnet mounts.

The back mount with the popsicle sticks is brilliant. I really like that.
It’s just the metals that are bad right? Because rust is really just ferric oxide which is what gfo is.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new