DIY Floating Island

CarolinaShoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really simple DIY.

1) Find rock chunks. I chipped mine off of a caribsea liferock piece that I had laying around.

2) Grind down a flat end onto rock to glue/cement a strong magnet to (I salvaged my magnets off of an old frag rack). I just glued mine but I think that cementing them down would work better. I also tried one plug without grinding down a flat end and it seems to have a weaker bond with the super glue gel than the plug that I did file down.

3) Silicon around the magnets to protect from rust. Leave over night.

4) I made a frame for the magnets on the exterior to sit into. The worst part about these tiny, strong magnets is that when they are bare on the glass they get so settled in it makes them nearly impossible to remove without the feeling of stressing the glass. This frame seems to help with that.

It’s just 2 jumbo craft sticks glued together. Once attached to each other, holes are drilled through for the magnets to sit into (make sure you drill pilot holes first, otherwise, these sticks will split). I then glued the sticks to another craft stick, inserted the magnets in their holes and glued them down. Another craft stick was then glued to seal them inside. So that amounts to a total of four craft sticks. The middle two are glued to each other, holes drilled out of them for the magnets, and then they’re are sandwiched between two other craft sticks.

5) I used the bench grinder to file around the craft sticks to outline just the magnets and lower it’s profile. (You can also glue a piece of felt to the wood to better protect your glass).

From the sides it’s not as concealed, but from dead straight it is hard to see. So if you want more concealment, use a bare magnet.

B068AF90-D093-4F2D-8914-DD343FB44CD1.jpeg A2709D20-1EC5-4085-A8AA-42F55C43C5B2.jpeg DDF9AF9D-4095-48A0-AA16-9DCB30713F5A.jpeg

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really simple DIY.

1) Find rock chunks. I chipped mine off of a caribsea liferock piece that I had laying around.

2) Grind down a flat end onto rock to glue/cement a strong magnet to (I salvaged my magnets off of an old frag rack). I just glued mine but I think that cementing them down would work better. I also tried one plug without grinding down a flat end and it seems to have a weaker bond with the super glue gel than the plug that I did file down.

3) Silicon around the magnets to protect from rust. Leave over night.

4) I made a frame for the magnets on the exterior to sit into. The worst part about these tiny, strong magnets is that when they are bare on the glass they get so settled in it makes them nearly impossible to remove without the feeling of stressing the glass. This frame seems to help with that.

It’s just 2 jumbo craft sticks glued together. Once attached to each other, holes are drilled through for the magnets to sit into (make sure you drill pilot holes first, otherwise, these sticks will split). I then glued the sticks to another craft stick, inserted the magnets in their holes and glued them down. Another craft stick was then glued to seal them inside. So that amounts to a total of four craft sticks. The middle two are glued to each other, holes drilled out of them for the magnets, and then they’re are sandwiched between two other craft sticks.

5) I used the bench grinder to file around the craft sticks to outline just the magnets and lower it’s profile. (You can also glue a piece of felt to the wood to better protect your glass).

From the sides it’s not as concealed, but from dead straight it is hard to see. So if you want more concealment, use a bare magnet.

B068AF90-D093-4F2D-8914-DD343FB44CD1.jpeg A2709D20-1EC5-4085-A8AA-42F55C43C5B2.jpeg DDF9AF9D-4095-48A0-AA16-9DCB30713F5A.jpeg
I did something very similar with a chiclid stone and live rocks. The chiclid stone is my favorite. The Midas Blenny and Pink Streaked Wrasse play hide and seek in the holes.
1536949891845.jpeg
MVIMG_20180914_143542.jpeg
MVIMG_20180914_143537.jpeg

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my To do list
Thanks for sharing. Great diy.
I would consider magnet covered with rubber. I would Still think water might get to the magnet from the other of the magnet where it attached to the rock

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
CarolinaShoreReef

CarolinaShoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this: magnets were really strong and just recently broke through the silicon. I’ve redone the rocks using epoxy putty to fully cover the magnet and bind it to the rock.

Back