DIY floating light mount with 80/20 extruded aluminum

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DIY Floating Light Mount! The ultimate peninsula light stand explained.

After getting a ton of question on my light mount i decided to do a video explaining it all.

Let me know if you guys have any questions

Stellar job! Thanks for sharing! Love the video.

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! I also built my light hangers from 80/20. I used part# 1575.

s6TDMFF.jpg

DOieCNt.jpg

julioperez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I have been trying to figure out how to do this except on a 4X4 cube. I plan to hang 2 4bulb ATI T5 fixtures and 2 Gen4 Radions in the middle of the T5's.
Would love this floating look but not sure if a single arm like that would hold an ATI fixture.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@shiftline what website did you find all the materials for the light mounts.

I've been trying to figure out a way to do the same with 4 XR30's.
I'm currently using the Ecotech RMS light hangers and there is a sag in the middle of the long rail.
I hate it.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple websites, I've always used 8020.net

This is series 10, once you pick your series goto external fasteners, sort by color and series. The detailed information at the bottom of the fastener page had hardware suggestions.

There is also a deflection calculator on the 8020 website - https://www.8020.net/deflection-calculator

The wait time is the only bad part, since they are cutting custom sections and it you go with black it takes a little longer. Well worth it though.

IMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9592.JPG

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Canada and ordered from a place in Calgary I used 15 series on my tank it you "may" want to do 20 series for xr30s. I believe the weight on the 4 xr15 was 18-20 lbs as a reference

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice mounts and stands guys! I love the 80/20 stuff so it's cool to see why you guys have built!

Hitmans reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the easiest parts of my new build was the lights I went to a true value hardware store and bought a sliding closet door track it came with two sliders for the track they come in diff. Lengths so it's and easy fit for me. The two standpipes in the back or just that there are pieces of black pipe with an elbow at the top and her other piece of black pipe to come out to the middle of the tank and attached to the rail using a 3 inch piece of angle iron that I welded to the end of the pipe and because I have access to one I bead blasted the pipe and then recoated using a rubberized coating. I simply attached the pipes to the back of the stand using standoff brackets and attached the track to the angle iron by drilling holes and inserting stainless hardware. On my lighting is probably different than most peoples I have the 24 inch model of the hobby bug programmable lighting. I had originally purchased the 16 inch models because of the price at the time they messed up and sent me the 24 inch models lucky for me. They only come with a cable mount hanging system , So I extended the stud and built a cross braced frame and bolted it to the top of the fixture then I simply attached the roller to the cross brace in the middle . Total cost for this project about $70 very happy with the way it works Im able to roll my lights right out of the way and swivel them to turn them sideways.
IMG_0363.JPG

Hitmans reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rolling track is a nice Touch!
Yea it is and the reason for it is to be able to get in and put in big pieces of rock and to be able to work in the tank without having to work around the lights especially once I start putting in corals

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back