DIY "Floating" Recessed Light Fixture/Canopy

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I love the hinges, push it up out of the way if you need to get in the tank. Love it!! #reefsquad check out this build, it's pretty sweet ;)

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is sweet. a quick concern, all the weight of the canopy and light fixtures rest on the hinges. what are the weight rating for those hinges?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is sweet. a quick concern, all the weight of the canopy and light fixtures rest on the hinges. what are the weight rating for those hinges?

They are 8" galvanized hinges. about 1/8" thick. I used 1-1/4" wood screws, wood glue was poured into the pre-drill holes to strengthen the grip. They have 4 holes per side.

The entire fixture weighs less than 50lbs... with the lights. I can pick it up with one hand easily.

I designed it that way, Lightweight, no bulk, only framework that's hidden.
Also, the 2x4's that are part of the "L" bracket (wall mount) mate up flush with the 2x2's that make up the frame. So when the canopy comes down, the hinges are not holding all the weight due to the tension against the butt ends of the 2x4's in the bracket. They take a lot of the weight off.

I do have backup eyehooks and tie-wire ready if needed... But right now it is solid and holding true.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I love the hinges, push it up out of the way if you need to get in the tank. Love it!! #reefsquad check out this build, it's pretty sweet ;)

Thanks Crabs, I was thinking about your approval through the entire process this weekend. And now I got it, and you were promoted to moderator.

Now I feel truly accomplished with this project. LOL. 55g Tank-to-Sump conversion is next up. Probably this fall I will start it.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice.

I seriously considered a floating canopy over my peninsula, so that I could go with retrofit T5's. Found a used 8 bulb T5 unit cheap that made it unnecessary.

Love the hinge arrangement. I might even mount a line of LED's or something at the bottom of the canopy to use as a work light when the canopy is raised :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice DIY...…..If I happen to move in the near future;), I will definitely consider something like this!

Thanks!

Very nice.

I seriously considered a floating canopy over my peninsula, so that I could go with retrofit T5's. Found a used 8 bulb T5 unit cheap that made it unnecessary.

Love the hinge arrangement. I might even mount a line of LED's or something at the bottom of the canopy to use as a work light when the canopy is raised :)

That's a great idea as well. Always improving and great suggestions. Love Love Love this forum!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something like this 20 years ago with this type of hinge want to keep an eye on the hinges after a year they will start to rust.
After a while ended up going with a 80/20 dynamic hinge assembly.

Very cool stuff, didn't even know about that vendor.

I knew it would be a risk, I am hoping having the hinge facing up it will last long enough to make it worth while. I almost considering using a spray-on waterproofing sealant.. like, the rubber in a can or something. Time will tell. If it fails, I could always pop the 8 screws out in each one, remove the rusted hinge and put a fresh one in. theyre only 3 bucks a piece. If that happens, I'll use some sort of sealant-spray below and above the hinge footprint to help increase longevity and overall integrity of the metal.

Keep the constructive criticism coming, its the only way to get better!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm jealous of the hinges - easy to get it up out of the way. Mine I have to adjust the cable length and then re-adjust back down. Not bad but kinda persnickity.
Yup. Me too.

However... I've got the light mounted high enough that I rarely, if ever, need to lift it.

Watch out for the cable and adjusters corroding over time, making it difficult, if not impossible, to move.

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use Stainless steel hardware? After working on the ocean for almost 50 years I wouldn't use anything but Stainless steel or aluminum for just about all projects. Even then I still coat everything with some kind of sealant (clear coat if i want to see the hardware.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use Stainless steel hardware? After working on the ocean for almost 50 years I wouldn't use anything but Stainless steel or aluminum for just about all projects. Even then I still coat everything with some kind of sealant (clear coat if i want to see the hardware.
$

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

No signs of corrosion yet. No sag either..still going like a champ and never needed to install hanging wires. It was lightweight enough to hold up so far. 5" decking screws into studs works well :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190520_203444.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back