DIY Food Recipe

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to start making my own food supplement and came across what looks like a pretty good recipe, but would like a second opinion. Two things I plan to change is add garlic guard and reduce the dosage of selcon and vitachem to 25-50%. Here’s the recipe...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/diy/index.php
c Recipe

Ingredients:
1 - 4 oz. bottle of Vita-Chem™
1 - 4 oz. bottle of Selcon™
1 pound of whole, uncooked frozen shrimp
1 pound of uncleaned frozen Silversides/Smelts
1 cup of freeze dried Cyclop-Eeze®
10 whole sheets of sushi nori seaweed wraps

Please let me know opinions and changes. I would like to use this as the daily main course.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't yet check out this thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/homemade-fish-food-ideas-diy.88099/

I'd go light on the garlic guard. Some say it's bad for their livers. I didn't use silver sides because I read that they were an oily fish that would cause skimmer flare ups. No idea if that's true. Here was my ingredient list. The roe and plankton were San Francisco Bay brand. I never had luck with nori in frozen food so in it's place I threw in spirulina powder. I don't think I'll ever go back to buying frozen after making my own. The frozen I was buying before, which was great food, was $42 a pound. My batch came out to be $16.80 a pound. My next batch I need to work on food particle size.

Frozen Krill
Selcon
VitaChem
PE Mysis
Live Black Worms
Cod
Shrimp
Eggs
Sea food mix
Plankton

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't yet check out this thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/homemade-fish-food-ideas-diy.88099/

I'd go light on the garlic guard. Some say it's bad for their livers. I didn't use silver sides because I read that they were an oily fish that would cause skimmer flare ups. No idea if that's true. Here was my ingredient list. The roe and plankton were San Francisco Bay brand. I never had luck with nori in frozen food so in it's place I threw in spirulina powder. I don't think I'll ever go back to buying frozen after making my own. The frozen I was buying before, which was great food, was $42 a pound. My batch came out to be $16.80 a pound. My next batch I need to work on food particle size.

Frozen Krill
Selcon
VitaChem
PE Mysis
Live Black Worms
Cod
Shrimp
Eggs
Sea food mix
Plankton

That’s a good list where did you pickup all the different seafood? I was going to add some other SF but couldn’t find anything at the Asian market other than shrimp and capelin (in place of silversides). I asked for scraps from the deli but they insisted to sell me filets so I gave up.

The egg is also interesting, why is this included?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found everything except the cod at the Asian market in the frozen section. The sea food mix was great. I can't remember everything that was in it but I believe it had scallops, squid, octopus, mussels, and one or two other ingredients. I removed all of the mussels as they were precooked. For the cod, I broke down and got it from Walmart. It had a preservative in it that just breaks down to phosphates. I haven't noticed any negative side effects yet and it has been about three months so far. When you peel the shrimp wear gloves. I had shrimp splinters for days.

The eggs were actually Roe, I just entered it wrong in my spread sheet. Although I think there is a thread here with somebody that feeds eggs and mayo...

Edit: found it. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/202-gallon-diesel-tank.109424/page-36#post-4689206

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't bring myself to go in, I used their online ordering thing. I can barely stand going to Costco, I was going to subject myself to Walmart.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't bring myself to go in, I used their online ordering thing. I can barely stand going to Costco, I was going to subject myself to Walmart.

Managed to pick out the only retail store that has living wages for their employees and ranks high up in Forbes' workplace satisfaction for one that is the exact opposite lol.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to pick out the only retail store that has living wages for their employees and ranks high up in Forbes' workplace satisfaction for one that is the exact opposite lol.
I like Costco itself, I just don't like the zombie hordes of people. I usually go an hour or so before they close.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, but I would make one slight change to promote fish health.

I would use pre-cooked or cook these ingredients yourself to prevent feeding your fish live (previously frozen) pathogens. Food borne illnesses that could be transmitted from raw frozen foods include bacteria, viruses and various "natural' fish parasites. If you use precooked frozen foods, especially foods "'prepared for human consumption" you would have a much lower risk of these kinds of problems, (but it still would not be zero).

I used to make my own frozen cubes, but I'm too lazy now so I like to buy frozen foods at the lfs that are labeled "highly purified" & "parasite and bacteria free."

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back