DIY HOTB Cheap Chaeto Fuge

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided I wanted some natural filtration and a mandarin drag a couple weeks ago.. and started adding Tigger Pods... And then decided it too expensive to add pods constantly, and I literally walked into my LFS, bought a light, and a 95gph pump, and headed to Lowes with no plan... and winged this. And yes, It works. Believe it or not.

(for those wondering, I'm 15 weeks in, 1st timer with salt. and have a 12" gap between the bottom of my tank and the ground for a stand (old school low stand) a canister filter, so no sump. No room for one for that matter. This is set up on a 48x12x20 55g, and this tank will probably become my sump in the future)

It's ugly, but it works for now.

Total Cost: $62, including the light, chaeto, and pump
Monster Energy Drink is OPTIONAL.

ItemSpread.jpg
BulkHeadHole.jpg
BulkHeadInstalled.jpg
InflowInstalled.jpg
HOTBfixture1.jpg
PVCcement.jpg
HOTBfinal2.jpg
HOTBfinished.jpg
Hotb+Fuge.jpg

Velcro1.jpg
Velcro2.jpg

BallValvePump.jpg

Final Product:

FugeFinalHOTB.jpg

I even fabricated and fit a spindle for the chaeto to rotate on to ensure tumbling... Not permanent by any means, but for 62 bucks, it will work for now while my tank matures and I prepare to make this tank a DIY sump/fuge/skimmer system in my next tank upgrade.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an awesome diy project! Monster energy drink is optional LOL!
I think sometimes these DIY projects warrant a monster energy drink.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the way it looks at night. I still need to isolate the light from my tank since I only run the chaeto light 12hrs, at night. Cant have it messing with my light schedule for my corals.

FinalTankView.jpg

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice DIY.

I still need to isolate the light from my tank since I only run the chaeto light 12hrs, at night. Cant have it messing with my light schedule for my corals.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's such a low-intensity light that your corals would get at most a couple PAR at the distance they are from it - probably less light than moonlight.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice DIY.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's such a low-intensity light that your corals would get at most a couple PAR at the distance they are from it - probably less light than moonlight.

Oh really? Not gonna mess with the fishes circadian cycle? They all gravitate towards the back of the tank when I shut down the tank light for the night...

okey dokey

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monster NOT optional. If you wrap that container in some duck tape it will block the light.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monster NOT optional. If you wrap that container in some duck tape it will block the light.

I haven't decided if I'm gonna paint it or tape it. problem is the light is still getting to the tank because the light is raised up over the top...

Might paint or put the "deep ocean blue" backsplash film on the back of the tank too. it blocks it out completely. haven't made up my mind how I'm gonna do it yet

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!!

It's been almost a month now and my pods are established, PO4 and NO3 have been completely under control without water changes, and the Fuge is still holding up, no leaks or mishaps, amen!

I am 8 weeks out until my fallow period is over in my new 125.. Once it is, I will be scrapping this project and converting my 55g into a custom DIY sump..

Luckily I can re-use the pump, bulkhead, and light... So for a temporary ChaetoFuge it costed me a total of $22 for 3 months of use.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it, yeah if you were to keep it longer, I'd dress it up a bit. Like you mentioned, a background and painting it. You could get the same container and flip it and cut it down as a cover on the top of the unit, painted.

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided I wanted some natural filtration and a mandarin drag a couple weeks ago.. and started adding Tigger Pods... And then decided it too expensive to add pods constantly, and I literally walked into my LFS, bought a light, and a 95gph pump, and headed to Lowes with no plan... and winged this. And yes, It works. Believe it or not.

(for those wondering, I'm 15 weeks in, 1st timer with salt. and have a 12" gap between the bottom of my tank and the ground for a stand (old school low stand) a canister filter, so no sump. No room for one for that matter. This is set up on a 48x12x20 55g, and this tank will probably become my sump in the future)

It's ugly, but it works for now.

Total Cost: $62, includin
g the light, chaeto, and pump

Monster Energy Drink is OPTIONAL.

ItemSpread.jpg
BulkHeadHole.jpg
BulkHeadInstalled.jpg
InflowInstalled.jpg
HOTBfixture1.jpg
PVCcement.jpg
HOTBfinal2.jpg
HOTBfinished.jpg
Hotb+Fuge.jpg

Velcro1.jpg
Velcro2.jpg

BallValvePump.jpg

Final Product:

FugeFinalHOTB.jpg

I even fabricated and fit a spindle for the chaeto to rotate on to ensure tumbling... Not permanent by any means, but for 62 bucks, it will work for now while my tank matures and I prepare to make this tank a DIY sump/fuge/skimmer system in my next tank upgrade.

Do you also have a sump? And do you also have a hang on back filter because I think I see one or is that an overflow box?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump, Aqueon 400 Canister. The HOTB u see is an old school Remora Protein Skimmer.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much was that and how are your water parameters?
I just noticed that you replied to this, I am sorry...

My parameters were all perfect in the 55 with that setup.

Nitrates stayed below 15, P04 was never over .2 . The HOTB skimmer was a Remora. I got all this as a package deal from a friend who gave up salt a year before I got it.

Fired everything up and bought the canister, the rest is history.

I now have a 125g that just finished a fallow period. Fish are going in over the next couple days, and the 55g that is currently my HT, is going to be converted into my DIY Sump hopefully by the first of the year.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hows it going now?

Fills with chaeto in about 2 months. (Starting out trimmed to a baseball)

Never leaked. Never failed.

I'm actually in the middle of a DIY 33g Long sump conversion. So all the Hotb will be vinegar stripped, rinsed, and stored for backup stuff.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back