DIY Hydra 26 mount

JoshM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I’m new to REEF2REEF, so here goes. So I just finished this project, and I’m really happy with how it came out, so I thought I’d share it with y’all!

Recently(just before they announced the hydra 32 lol) I got a used hydra 26. My problem was that I have a rimmed 10 gallon tank, and the mounts made by AI are made for rimless. I didn’t particularly want to spend ~$70 to get a Mountie have to jury-rig to work.

Unfortunately, I didn’t find many easy solutions online of diy mounts. So I got to work

My solution was to buy:
8ft of 2” pvc
2 elbow joints
2 t-joints
4 caps
Matte black spray paint
And 3” 10-32 screw

I then made a frame to go around the tank, holding the light over it. The tank is under a bunk bed, on a dresser, so I cut the height to that(~20”), and the length was to fit around the 20” long 10gallon.

Then I cut two 4” pieces to go forward in the t joints, and two 5” pieces to go backward. That way it sits flush with the front, has the light centered, and little extra support.

Then I sprayed everything black before assembly.

Lastly, I measured to the center of the top pvc pipe, and cut holes 3” to either side of the center. Using my extra pvc, I cut small 1/2” pieces to put in between the pipe and the light so the pipe doesn’t hit the fan cover.

After screwing it together, this ended up being way more solid than expected, and I love how it turned out. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks for any feedback!
9712164B-46DE-484A-B429-B11AB389ACCD.jpeg
0AD16E94-2744-44BF-A63A-3970288A4373.jpeg

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seem like a good solution for your application, but this will not work for a lot of tanks. Also, the new, re-designed, HMS mounts can now be used on rimmed tanks.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This seem like a good solution for your application, but this will not work for a lot of tanks. Also, the new, re-designed, HMS mounts can now be used on rimmed tanks.
Also a black Lego works for rimmed tanks also lol

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Nice job on the mount DIY.
Do you have any updated pics of your tank?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I’m new to REEF2REEF, so here goes. So I just finished this project, and I’m really happy with how it came out, so I thought I’d share it with y’all!

Recently(just before they announced the hydra 32 lol) I got a used hydra 26. My problem was that I have a rimmed 10 gallon tank, and the mounts made by AI are made for rimless. I didn’t particularly want to spend ~$70 to get a Mountie have to jury-rig to work.

Unfortunately, I didn’t find many easy solutions online of diy mounts. So I got to work

My solution was to buy:
8ft of 2” pvc
2 elbow joints
2 t-joints
4 caps
Matte black spray paint
And 3” 10-32 screw

I then made a frame to go around the tank, holding the light over it. The tank is under a bunk bed, on a dresser, so I cut the height to that(~20”), and the length was to fit around the 20” long 10gallon.

Then I cut two 4” pieces to go forward in the t joints, and two 5” pieces to go backward. That way it sits flush with the front, has the light centered, and little extra support.

Then I sprayed everything black before assembly.

Lastly, I measured to the center of the top pvc pipe, and cut holes 3” to either side of the center. Using my extra pvc, I cut small 1/2” pieces to put in between the pipe and the light so the pipe doesn’t hit the fan cover.

After screwing it together, this ended up being way more solid than expected, and I love how it turned out. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks for any feedback!
9712164B-46DE-484A-B429-B11AB389ACCD.jpeg
0AD16E94-2744-44BF-A63A-3970288A4373.jpeg
Very clean!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back