DIY internal overflow

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be approximately 1200 gph internal overflow box. The measurements will be 8w x 5.5 h x 2.5 d

I bought the black acrylic sheets off amazon. It was a 2 pack 12 x 12 1/8 inch. After getting into cutting it I'm thinking I should have done 1/4 inch. This is a bit choppy. But it's working.

20220115_162917.jpg

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal overflows can exit out the back or bottom. In the future I can make the external box to go on the back portion. I can take a photo of inside the box on the tank if that will help you understand.

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal overflows can exit out the back or bottom. In the future I can make the external box to go on the back portion. I can take a photo of inside the box on the tank if that will help you understand.

Yeah a photo would help. I'm having trouble understanding how this is different than all the various external overflows on the market. I've never seen anything where the drain pipes were outside the tank called an internal overflow.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a photo would help. I'm having trouble understanding how this is different than all the various external overflows on the market. I've never seen anything where the drain pipes were outside the tank called an internal overflow.
The box is inside the tank in a top corner or center. Water flows over the overflow teeth, and into the pipes, which happen to route through the glass and then down to the sump. Not terribly difficult to understand why it’s internal when the “overflow” is inside the tank.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220116_185237.jpg

The pipe on the right is full siphon 90 pointing down. The left is emergency overflow. 90 pointing up with small stand pipe. I didnt buy the pre made overflows due to trying to do a budget build. I will be making the external in the future. I even made a template of the holes I drilled to use for that later.

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't necessarily need an external box. Definitely don't build one out of 1/8 acrylic. Glass-holes.com was very popular selling internal boxes like these which connected straight to a 90 degree elbow on the other side of a bulkhead.

Make sure your sump can handle the volume of your internal box failing and the tank water draining to the level of tip of your siphon line. 1/8 acrylic is pretty flimsy, and it may warp when wet.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't necessarily need an external box. Definitely don't build one out of 1/8 acrylic. Glass-holes.com was very popular selling internal boxes like these which connected straight to a 90 degree elbow on the other side of a bulkhead.

Make sure your sump can handle the volume of your internal box failing and the tank water draining to the level of tip of your siphon line. 1/8 acrylic is pretty flimsy, and it may warp when wet.

I agree the 1/8 would be way to flimsy for an external box! Only reason why I would build the external box is to run a bean animal overflow but mainly cause it's the quietest. The internal at 1/8th should be just fine if it bows a little still wont effect much. We will see once I get water into the tank. I can update here and my build thread on any issues.

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, noise is the reason the glass-holes design is no longer done.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.9%
Back