DIY Jebao 24V Battery Backup

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a battery backup system for my 24V Jebao Pump (DCP-15000).
This pump has a low voltage protection built-in to it, so supplying it with 12v will not work with these pumps.

So I have designed a battery backup system that is fairly simple, and works great!
It's designed to have no battery leakage while charging, so no need to worry about your battery draining slowly while the mains power is in use.

I have tested this, and it works perfect with no issues.

Here's the parts list:

- Battery Charger - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZ7KWP3/
- 12V AGM Battery - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TG7PJ41/
- 12V to 24V Boost Converter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018XBH2GW/
- 24V DC 4PDT Relay - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN34ON0/
- True 18 AWG Pigtails - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BXB2Y8/

Here's the schematics:
Schematics.png

To make it super easy, I listed which pin number on the Relay each wire goes to.
The relay has the pin # printed next to each terminal.

For example, the ground wire from the Pumps Power Supply goes to both Pin 13 & 7 on the relay.
The positive wire from the pumps power supply goes to both Pin 14 & 8 on the relay.

Just follow the pin numbers on the schematics.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Wanna make sure i'm following this - might give it a try

Thanks for sharing

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job!
I wrestled with using relays or diodes to isolate the battery myself. I was most concerned with a continuous duty on the relay. I would love to see how it works out for you.

I think the link for the boost converter isn’t working. It keeps pulling up the charger for me.

OP
OP
drbogger

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job!
I wrestled with using relays or diodes to isolate the battery myself. I was most concerned with a continuous duty on the relay. I would love to see how it works out for you.

I think the link for the boost converter isn’t working. It keeps pulling up the charger for me.

It's already been working good now for over a week.
I've unplugged it 3 times to test the battery life and seems better than expected.

Here's the link for the boost converter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018XBH2GW/

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Meanwell AD-155b (b for 24V) that has battery backup feature built in
+ I added DC-DC converter to boost 24V to 27.6V for floating the battery. You regulate V output for both battery and output - that's a bummer

another 'feature' - you cannot 'cold start' psu from battery without AC ... this could be a problem. Though I guess this is because there is no relay that is constantly being activated. My electroengineering friend said this is not a great idea to have a relay burning 24/7 at-least not your garden variety ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
drbogger

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Meanwell AD-155b (b for 24V) that has battery backup feature built in
+ I added DC-DC converter to boost 24V to 27.6V for floating the battery. You regulate V output for both battery and output - that's a bummer

another 'feature' - you cannot 'cold start' psu from battery without AC ... this could be a problem. Though I guess this is because there is no relay that is constantly being activated. My electroengineering friend said this is not a great idea to have a relay burning 24/7 at-least not your garden variety ones.
I've never had a problem with a relay being on 24/7... I mean if you look at all the digital heater controllers out there, most of them use relays... Which I guess isn't on 24/7, but it would be about half that... They are still on for quite a long time sometimes...

Relays are just a electromagnet, which nothing more than a coil pulling a spring loaded contact..

Motors and pumps are just coils as well... Just configured differently.

If the coil decided to burn out, just keep a spare on hand to replace it if ever needed.

Ronnyking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive this older thread. The first block after pump power supply listed SR, is this a fuse? does it matter which fuse?

Ronnyking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thank you. would it be possible to connect two pumps to this design? How would the shematic change (both pumps have separate power supply units)?

OP
OP
drbogger

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thank you. would it be possible to connect two pumps to this design? How would the shematic change (both pumps have separate power supply units)?

It is possible, but it wouldn't be very ideal with this schematic. It would require a lot of rework, unless you're okay with wiring the power supplies and pumps together in parallel, which will work, but probably not the safest method.

Ronnyking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right. Better make two setups then. Or find something else. The coralbox pump extender allows you to add two pumps, but i fear the battery only has 3.6 Ah, so doubt it would last very long. And also more expensive then diy.

Ronnyking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might work for a second pump if I added a DPDT relay for that second pump. Power supply of second pump over the coil of the second relay and then like the first part of your shematic.
1605817577659.png

Attachments

• 1605817582455.png
    1605817582455.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 141

Ronnyking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might work for a second pump if I added a DPDT relay for that second pump. Power supply of second pump over the coil of the second relay and then like the first part of your shematic.
1605817577659.png

OP
OP
drbogger

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a lot of trial and error to even get to a functional design, that didn't back feed the battery into the battery charger.

While your add-on might work, it's really hard to say if it'll work flawlessly.

The battery charger, battery, and pumps are all kept isolated from each other so only one thing is connected to the battery at a time.

ReefZKD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!!! This looks awesome thank you for sharing it.

Is this still working for you?, it seems pretty easy.
How about using a Car Battery for longer time instead of those sealed batteries? Do you recommended? Or it really needs to be sealed (maybe using more in parallel)

How's the relay working 24/7??

Regards!!
ReefZKD

OP
OP
drbogger

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How about using a Car Battery for longer time instead of those sealed batteries? Do you recommended? Or it really needs to be sealed (maybe using more in parallel)

Regards!!
ReefZKD

I've been using this for about a year and a half now, and I've never had an issue. The first relay I purchase went bad after about a month or so, but I think that was just a defective relay, because the replacement has been working flawlessly.

My recommendation is just to keep an extra relay on hand. They are cheap enough, and are super easy to swap out. They are literally plug and play.

OP
OP
drbogger

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards!!
ReefZKD

Sorry, I forgot to respond to your question about the battery.

The battery can be any 12V battery, just remember that non-sealed batteries can vent toxic fumes into the air. They also are not designed to be completely discharged.

If your looking for a larger battery, you might consider a deep cycle marine battery. They are designed to be completely discharged, and are typically sealed batteries, so they shouldn't vent fumes into the air.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back