Dodgy Relay replacement options

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 power bars from one of my main reef-pi instances, one is using a DJ power strip and the other one is a DIY unit with 5v relays. I did a water change yesterday and have a macro that turns everything off but one relay did not shut off. I went to the equipment page and it said it was off but it wasn't, I unplugged it and plugged it back in and manually on/off and it appears to be working but now I am not confident in what is going on with that relay. I do not have high power stuff on them, in this case it was one of my wave pumps that usually draws around 14w.

Here is the relay that I am using -5v Relay and realize its probably not the best but looking for alternatives that may be better.

@Sral or anyone provide any insight as to why a relay would react that way, like not shut off like it did in this instance? I am willing to rebuild with a better relay but not sure how to find a better unit. My other option is to use another DJ strip but then I would need to figure out how to tap into the 12v circuit or boost my 5v circuit up to 12v. All are possible options just looking for the easiest path and which will be more reliable. Tested the relay this am and it was fine, off and on but never had one stick like that and just not sure why it would.

Any insight appreciated, thanks.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Songle relays on that board are garbage. Without known the load specs, wetting current of the relay, etc, it is hard to tell why it stuck. I can’t see the size of the suppression fly-back diode either.

I would stick with Tyco, Omron, Panasonic, TE connectivity or other name brand relays.

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Songle relays on that board are garbage. Without known the load specs, wetting current of the relay, etc, it is hard to tell why it stuck. I can’t see the size of the suppression fly-back diode either.

I would stick with Tyco, Omron, Panasonic, TE connectivity or other name brand relays.
Yeah I understand, why I do not put anything critical on them, the DJ power strips have a higher amperage but are still Songle relays, never had an issue with those units. Problem is I have a fix space and that came as one unit, why I posted trying to figure out what my options are. Probably should just go with another DJ strip and figure out how to get 12v to it.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand, why I do not put anything critical on them, the DJ power strips have a higher amperage but are still Songle relays, never had an issue with those units. Problem is I have a fix space and that came as one unit, why I posted trying to figure out what my options are. Probably should just go with another DJ strip and figure out how to get 12v to it.
You can build your own relay boards using quality components or replace the relays on those cheap boards. Tear one of those Songle units down, they are crap. Round contacts, poor alignment and crap springs and coils. No way there are anywhere near their duty cycle or contact rating.

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build your own relay boards using quality components or replace the relays on those cheap boards. Tear one of those Songle units down, they are crap. Round contacts, poor alignment and crap springs and coils. No way there are anywhere near their duty cycle or contact rating.
I found this as a pin for pin replacement - TE Relay not sure how much better it would be, if you know of any pin for pin replacements for the songle SRD-05vdc-sl-c I would probably go that route, I could do the replacement pretty easily.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TE relays will be much better made. For $2.00 buy one and tear it apart and see for yourself.

That is a common relay footprint, so the other brands I listed will likely have comparables, but TE is fine.

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TE relays will be much better made. For $2.00 buy one and tear it apart and see for yourself.

That is a common relay footprint, so the other brands I listed will likely have comparables, but TE is fine.
Honestly I wouldn't know what I am looking for, why I ask here since I get better advice from folks that know a lot more than me. I wasn't sure how to search for cross references for the songle so I could see what other versions were available but came across a digikey thread where they listed that TE unit as a replacement.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You typically would look at the datasheets to make sure the pinouts, footprint, etc. and other ratings equivalent. Takes a bit of digging sometimes.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What piece of equipment did not shut off?

OP
OP
bishoptf

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What piece of equipment did not shut off?
Wave pump, again at least on that powerstrip with those relays I didn't place anything that is critical. I mean I have my return pump but I have it set up as normally closed so it almost always will have power in case I were to have reef-pi issues. Almost all of the stuff on that relays are things that I pretty much always want on. I have macros that turn off all my equipment and that wave maker a Hydor KPM was the only thing that didnt shut off, never had that happen before. Other stuff on that strip are things like my cabinet light, my low voltage cooling fans, other wave maker that is a icecap 1k gyre and my return pump (again the return pump is NC outlet). All low voltage stuff, return pump probably pulls the most at 40w but that was by design since I knew the relay module wasn't the best so put less critical stuff on them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back