DIY Kalk reactor and ATO with Apex pH control.

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DIYed a kalk reactor setup with my ATO with Apex pH control.

The reactor was made with a sewage 4" PVC 5 feet tall, the base from a PVC cap. I drilled 4 holes on the side. 2 holes were to plumbed to an Eheim pump for mixing the kalk many times a day, the other 2 holes allow fresh RO/DI water from the ATO to flow into the reactor pushing kalk water out to drain by gravity into the sump. It is not sealed and there is no pressure.

I initially hard plumbed the ATO input, but after problems with siphoning, I simply placed a 1/2 inch PVC pipe inside the reactor and inserted the ATO line inside the pipe. Water flowing through the pipe will exit at the bottom of the 1/2inch PVC and push kalk water out the top of the reactor.

I was concerned about maintaining a relatively stable pH range, and with significant fluctuations in the amount of RO/DI ATO needed during the day due to variable evaporation of water came up with a simple solution.

I obtained 2 solenoid valves, one NC, the other NO. The 2 valves are powered by the same Apex outlet. The line from the ATO was split into 2, one through the NO valve which then drips into the kalk reactor, the other line goes through the NC valve and drains directly into the sump. The Apex outlet is programmed to turn on when the pH is higher than 8.35. If the pH is lower than 8.35 the flow goes through the kalk reactor as the outlet is off and the path will be through the NO valve, if the pH is more than 8.35, the NO valve closes, the path will be through the NC valve directly to the sump.

Flow.jpg

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DIYed a kalk reactor setup with my ATO with Apex pH control.

The reactor was made with a sewage 4" PVC 5 feet tall, the base from a PVC cap. I drilled 4 holes on the side. 2 holes were to plumbed to an Eheim pump for mixing the kalk many times a day, the other 2 holes allow fresh RO/DI water from the ATO to flow into the reactor pushing kalk water out to drain by gravity into the sump. It is not sealed and there is no pressure.

I initially hard plumbed the ATO input, but after problems with siphoning, I simply placed a 1/2 inch PVC pipe inside the reactor and inserted the ATO line inside the pipe. Water flowing through the pipe will exit at the bottom of the 1/2inch PVC and push kalk water out the top of the reactor.

I was concerned about maintaining a relatively stable pH range, and with significant fluctuations in the amount of RO/DI ATO needed during the day due to variable evaporation of water came up with a simple solution.

I obtained 2 solenoid valves, one NC, the other NO. The 2 valves are powered by the same Apex outlet. The line from the ATO was split into 2, one through the NO valve which then drips into the kalk reactor, the other line goes through the NC valve and drains directly into the sump. The Apex outlet is programmed to turn on when the pH is higher than 8.35. If the pH is lower than 8.35 the flow goes through the kalk reactor as the outlet is off and the path will be through the NO valve, if the pH is more than 8.35, the NO valve closes, the path will be through the NC valve directly to the sump.

Flow.jpg
Wow great work.
Thanks for sharing.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using an apex to control my top off water based off of Ph as well. I really like your idea for straight RODI or kalk water based off of Ph readings. Any way you could give us updates of how it works out?

OP
OP
S

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using an apex to control my top off water based off of Ph as well. I really like your idea for straight RODI or kalk water based off of Ph readings. Any way you could give us updates of how it works out?
It worked very well.

OP
OP
S

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you explain it to me a bit more how do you know the reactor it’s stirring at the right speed
I am using a regular pump that runs briefly many times a day. The bottom of the reactor is clear so I know when to add more kalk powder.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so brilliant. Thank you for sharing! I love this. This is my favorite diy for 2018 so far.

Tam Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the same setup as you did for the Kalk reactor connecting to the ATO with the use of solenoids to redirect based on PH.

Based on my current Apex code, if PH>8.3 then turn the solenoids on. Is there any concern that if the PH is above 8.3 for an extended time that the solenoids would burnout?

I tried to create an apex code so that if PH>8.3 and sump_switch is Open THEN ON but Apex doesn't allow the "and" statement in their code. Any ideas on how to approach this?

Bob Severance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the same setup as you did for the Kalk reactor connecting to the ATO with the use of solenoids to redirect based on PH.

Based on my current Apex code, if PH>8.3 then turn the solenoids on. Is there any concern that if the PH is above 8.3 for an extended time that the solenoids would burnout?

I tried to create an apex code so that if PH>8.3 and sump_switch is Open THEN ON but Apex doesn't allow the "and" statement in their code. Any ideas on how to approach this?
Run the solenoid in series with the sump switch (float switch). Use a second float switch directly in line if necessary. They're about $2 each on eBay.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering how you control the alk? Seems like if the Kalkwasser control is pH, there is the potential for the Kalk to dose at night when the pH drops. Is that right?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back