DIY Kalk Stirrer flow not working as expected. Please Help!

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a Kalk Stirrer and I noticed that it takes about 100 ml to start to get water to flow out the outlet. Once the pump turns off 100 ml comes out. For some reason the stop equilibrium is 100 ml less than what it takes to get the flow going and no idea why. I have not owned a kalk stirrer before but I assume they are more precise than this since most people run a dosing pump with it.

I pump water into the bottom of the container. I have the outlet towards the top of the container with a little piece of tubing into a elbow. Outside the container a use a tee instead of an elbow to prevent a siphon. Any thoughts on what is wrong with what I am doing?

PXL_20211207_050033738.jpg PXL_20211207_045610359.jpg

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try removing the inside down facing piece.
I'm guessing it is only breaking siphon once it gets to the end/bottom of that inside tube.
Remove that & it will then break siphon closer to the outlet.
Then again maybe i've not had enough coffee.

Edit:
Or try twisting it around so its horizontal & the same level as the outlet

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try removing the inside down facing piece.
I'm guessing it is only breaking siphon once it gets to the end/bottom of that inside tube.
Remove that & it will then break siphon closer to the outlet.
Then again maybe i've not had enough coffee.

Edit:
Or try twisting it around so its horizontal & the same level as the outlet
OMG thank you so much. I removed the elbow and it works a lot better! I have seen other designs with that. Not exactly sure what the deal is but problem solved!

Thanks again!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elbow inside is there because a crust forms on the surface of the kalk where the liquid interacts with air. This crust doesn’t dissolve and could clog small tubing so you may want to reconsider that internal elbow. Using larger outlet tubing may be a better solution.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I did do that the other night. I am still running into an issue though. I add 1ml at a time using a gradual cylinder (for this experiment) to displace the water. I keep doing that and nothing comes out. Eventually water does flow and 37 ml flow out. I can reproduce that over and over again. Is there momentum at play here or something else?

Wonder if this is of real kalk stirrer work this way anyway. 1ml in for 1ml relying on displacement seems too precise to me.

Attachments

• PXL_20211209_191922170.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211209_191922170.MP.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 30

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the surface tension acting on the "skin thin"top slice of water, its taking what your calling momementum to overcome. 1 ml in eventually nets 38 out 100 ml(all at once) in would net 137 out if im following your experiment right.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the surface tension acting on the "skin thin"top slice of water, its taking what your calling momementum to overcome. 1 ml in eventually nets 38 out 100 ml(all at once) in would net 137 out if im following your experiment right.
Sorry I did not explain properly. At equilibrium nothing comes out until I add ~37ml due to surface tension. At that point all 37ml flows out. This makes perfect sense to me.

Is this behavior expected for a kalk stirrer that you purchased or they more accurate than this for some reason?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run rodi thru litermeter pump thru kalk stirrer and also calibrate based off the output at the sump out of the kalk reactor

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you (@YOYOYOReefer & @2una) dose at one time and how often? Looks like my min dose would have to be ~37ml which I do not know if is a big deal.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600L/160G tank & when its throwing in the most its about 50ml every 16min

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back