Diy magnesium using kalkwasser

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm in need of a little help i live in the UK so measuring sizes are different to the us and im no good at at math haha could some one help me get around what magnesium products-chemicals I need and how many grams to use per us gallon of water my tank is 200ltr im new to this i have been reading on the web but can't get my head around it is kalkwasser 1part or 2 part I think I read that kalkwassers diy magnesium mix is different to the other part mix I don't want to get anything wrong and mess things up

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag was at 1350 on the 4.1.21 yesterday it was on 1320 I have added salifert dry magnesium to correct it

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide powder dissolved in water. It supplies calcium and alkalinity when dosing. Almost nothing for magnesium.

If you need to dose magnesium use magnesium chloride and appropriately 1/5 of magnesium sulphate. So 4/5 is mag chloride and 1/5 is mag sulphate. Or just all mag chloride for a few times.

Use this calculator

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i was to mix 4/5 mag chloride and 1/5 mag sulphate could I use that every time I needed to dose mag and is there a reason to why I can only dose mag chloride a few times I have just been and bought a tub of mag until I get the hang of it all for the time being

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i was to mix 4/5 mag chloride and 1/5 mag sulphate could I use that every time I needed to dose mag and is there a reason to why I can only dose mag chloride a few times I have just been and bought a tub of mag until I get the hang of it all for the time being
Its to balance the sulfate and chloride. Magnesium chloride adds chloride and Magnesium sulphate adds sulphate. If you only dose one kind sulphate or chloride will become off of what natural levels are. For example S is 900ppm. Dosing mag sulphate brings up S by so much but leaves chloride alone. Its to balance it basically.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It likely makes no difference, but the better ratio for someone using limewater (kalkwasser) is 10:1.

Do not mix any magnesium supplement into kalkwasser.

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I gathered adding mag to kalk would cause a problem thank you ill read tge link now and try find some decent brand of mag sulphate and cloride

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see a reason that over a long period of time using magnesium sulfate (Epson salt) can cause issues if you dose a lot of magnesium.

However, I fail to see a reason why magnesium chloride would be a problem requiring a mix of magnesium sulfate. How many of us dose calcium sulfate to 'correct' calcium chloride imbalance?

Randy?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see a reason that over a long period of time using magnesium sulfate (Epson salt) can cause issues if you dose a lot of magnesium.

However, I fail to see a reason why magnesium chloride would be a problem requiring a mix of magnesium sulfate. How many of us dose calcium sulfate to 'correct' calcium chloride imbalance?

Randy?

My DIY uses magnesium sulfate to correct the excessive chloride.

Balling part C is mostly magnesium sulfate for the same reason.

Not using an approach like this will lead to high chloride and low sulfate. Is that a concern? I've not seen anyone really test the biological effects and it may not be. Likely more of a concern in high demand, low water change tanks.

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would these be ok to mix together

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-190558_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-190558_Samsung Internet.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210111-185930_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-185930_Samsung Internet.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 39

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
I think the real question here is if I'm using Kalkwasser for Ca/Alk how do I supplement the other major and minor ions/elements and maintain ionic balance?

Red Sea seems to have a good product for trace ions/elements.

What do I do for magnesium, strontium, and borate? (Which I think the trace products don't cover)

The next logical question is if there is rule of thumb for dosage based on Ca/Alk consumption. (Triton and many other vendors supplement based on Ca/Alk)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
I think the real question here is if I'm using Kalkwasser for Ca/Alk how do I supplement the other major and minor ions/elements and maintain ionic balance?

What do I do for magnesium, strontium, and borate? (Which I think the trace products don't cover)

The next logical question is if there is rule of thumb for dosage based on Ca/Alk consumption. (Triton and many other vendors supplement based on Ca/Alk)
For the kitchen sink, you can use TM Balling C. Otherwise you can use Triton or Reef Moonshiners. I don't think either of these list their constiuent ingredients, so you will have to trust that it works.

This isn't an easy question, and it is the cutting edge of the hobby. Be warned you have come to the edge of the earth, there be monsters here. :)

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

@Randy Holmes-Farley should I ask this in another thread?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY uses magnesium sulfate to correct the excessive chloride.

Balling part C is mostly magnesium sulfate for the same reason.

Not using an approach like this will lead to high chloride and low sulfate. Is that a concern? I've not seen anyone really test the biological effects and it may not be. Likely more of a concern in high demand, low water change tanks.

I will counter with this. See bottom of thread.

I've know a lot of SPS keepers over the past 30 years that go through calcium chloride in 50lb bags, do sporadic water changes and don't have problems.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Unlike dosing calcium chloride and sodium carbonate, calcium hydroxide does not "cause" any imbalance (except for a small long term effect of calcium rising relative to alkalinity).

Thus, it does not need to use, or benefit fromm, products like Balling Part C.

You just need to replace what is consumed by organisms.

Various products do that. My DIY magnesium supplement (#3 below) is designed to use with kalkwasser:

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I used limewater (kalkwasser) for 20 years. Borate never depleted and I never added any, except by 1% daily water changes. IMO, it is not a primary concern for supplementation, and I'm not sure if it has any utility in a reef tank aside from a small pH stabilizing effect.

Boron (B; borate). The borate is about normal. I do not add it. It seemingly is not depleted in my aquarium.

I'm also not of the opinion that strontium has utility.

That said, many supplements include these:

Tropic Marin® K+ ELEMENTS contains barium, boron, chromium, cobalt, iron, copper, manganese, nickel, strontium and zinc in pure mineral form.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike dosing calcium chloride and sodium carbonate, calcium hydroxide does not "cause" any imbalance (except for a small long term effect of calcium rising relative to alkalinity).

Thus, it does not need to use, or benefit fromm, products like Balling Part C.

You just need to replace what is consumed by organisms.

Various products do that. My DIY magnesium supplement (#3 below) is designed to use with kalkwasser:

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I used limewater (kalkwasser) for 20 years. Borate never depleted and I never added any, except by 1% daily water changes. IMO, it is not a primary concern for supplementation, and I'm not sure if it has any utility in a reef tank aside from a small pH stabilizing effect.

Boron (B; borate). The borate is about normal. I do not add it. It seemingly is not depleted in my aquarium.

I'm also not of the opinion that strontium has utility.

That said, many supplements include these:

Tropic Marin® K+ ELEMENTS contains barium, boron, chromium, cobalt, iron, copper, manganese, nickel, strontium and zinc in pure mineral form.
So something like:
Kalkwasser for Ca/Alk (bonus Ph boost)
Brightwell Magnesion-P or DIY for Magnesium
Tropic Marine K+ and A- elements for everything else

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So something like:
Kalkwasser for Ca/Alk (bonus Ph boost)
Brightwell Magnesion-P or DIY for Magnesium
Tropic Marine K+ and A- elements for everything else

Yes, but you can just buy the DIY magnesium ingredients cheaper than Brightwell.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but you can just buy the DIY magnesium ingredients cheaper than Brightwell.
I'm a lazy reefer. Trying to ULM my dosing...I was using the Triton method which allows me to dose everything based on Alk measurement. Since I now have low PH due to indoor CO2 I want to use Kalkwasser which would preclude me from effectively using the Triton method.

With the above, I have essentially 4 part dosing that provides everything...just like the Triton method parts (1, 2, 3a, 3b) ...so I don't need additional equipment. I'll just use the minimal dosing to start and Triton ICP testing to zero in my dosing. I just wish there was a rule of thumb for dosing the trace ions/elements based on Alk consumption so I can just dial them in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back