DIY plumbing layout

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I started my build thread and I am laying out my plumbing. Here is a sketch up what I'm thinking.

plumbing layout.jpg

joethenathan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be cognizant if some of the 3D aspects of running PVC. On the left, you have red line behind blue line. On the right, red line is in front of blue line. When gluing together, pipes going around each other is going to be challenging. Same thing with some of the 40g cube on the right overflow.

Way to be thoughtful and deliberate with a plan, however. I wasn’t as thorough as you, and my plumbing is squirrelly at best.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I feel that the main siphons for the 40 gallon tanks should not merge with the main siphons of the larger display. You're asking for all kinds of issues tuning the flow from each tank and it would be easier to plumb the drains separate for a bit and then if you really wanted or needed to, upsize the plumbing where they meet closer to the sump...

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 4 inch socks are kinda pointless on a system that size. I would use the 7 inch ones.
I would rather have 2 normal drains and 4 emergencies or 3 and 3.
You have provided a path where if a pipe plugs water from the main tank can come out in one of the cubes. Probably not a good idea.

OP
OP
D

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I feel that the main siphons for the 40 gallon tanks should not merge with the main siphons of the larger display. You're asking for all kinds of issues tuning the flow from each tank and it would be easier to plumb the drains separate for a bit and then if you really wanted or needed to, upsize the plumbing where they meet closer to the sump...
Thanks for the input. The drains down will be 3 in. With WYE to all the drains. I might come through the deck individually like you said that's a great idea. Thanks.

OP
OP
D

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 4 inch socks are kinda pointless on a system that size. I would use the 7 inch ones.
I would rather have 2 normal drains and 4 emergencies or 3 and 3.
You have provided a path where if a pipe plugs water from the main tank can come out in one of the cubes. Probably not a good idea.
If a 3in drain clogs I have even bigger problems. Lol. I think I'm going to join below the deck.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back