DIY Quick and Cheap Pod Hotel

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean caulerpa? Ulva is the lettuce looking one...

One advantage of chaeto in a box is that you can always take out to trim and then put back in your tank. Minimizes mess floating in tank

Yes, Caulerpa is the sexual one I was referring to. And yea, Ulva was the lettuce type. Is that good at nutrient export, or not really?

Chaeto in a box is good for pods, but won't maximize water contact. My sump is custom, because it's a 93 cube tank currently, and doesn't have baffles before the return pump. It just has a 10 inch high wall that the water flows over into the return chamber. So the compartment before the return chamber had about a 16" x 10" section with a small powerhead to rotate the chaeto and I had the chaeto ball loose, just tumbling around. Every time I trimmed it there would be little pieces that flew everywhere, including the return chamber.

I actually use rock rubble, by CaribSea, in the plastic containers that it comes in with holes drilled. Trying to create a more anaerobic area for denitrifying bacteria. Because the container doesn't allow good water flow unless you make swiss cheese out of it. That's why, for my purposes, chaeto in the container wouldn't do enough to export nutrients as opposed to it being allowed its freedom, but used as a pod refuge is great if kept in your DT.

That's why I wanted to see if I could just drop that Ulva in there and have it go to work. But I think it's a slow exporter.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally moved the NUVO10 to its permanent spot (we finally chose which tables to use in our cutouts next to our fireplace). During the move I had the idea of just letting the box float right at the overflow. It stays absolutely still and is getting good light. You also don't even notice it in the tank.

Anybody see any issues here? Could the flow suck my pods into my overflow and get stuck in my filter floss?

eea5c60234db84c8bd3861df557fbcb3.jpg

Last edited:

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d7542ff644095e13d344f52d2da7af0a.jpg

New spot. Seemed to be restricting flow at overflow. Maybe too dark here?

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Caulerpa is the sexual one I was referring to. And yea, Ulva was the lettuce type. Is that good at nutrient export, or not really?

Chaeto in a box is good for pods, but won't maximize water contact. My sump is custom, because it's a 93 cube tank currently, and doesn't have baffles before the return pump. It just has a 10 inch high wall that the water flows over into the return chamber. So the compartment before the return chamber had about a 16" x 10" section with a small powerhead to rotate the chaeto and I had the chaeto ball loose, just tumbling around. Every time I trimmed it there would be little pieces that flew everywhere, including the return chamber.

I actually use rock rubble, by CaribSea, in the plastic containers that it comes in with holes drilled. Trying to create a more anaerobic area for denitrifying bacteria. Because the container doesn't allow good water flow unless you make swiss cheese out of it. That's why, for my purposes, chaeto in the container wouldn't do enough to export nutrients as opposed to it being allowed its freedom, but used as a pod refuge is great if kept in your DT.

That's why I wanted to see if I could just drop that Ulva in there and have it go to work. But I think it's a slow exporter.

From an article from Nature.com, seems like Ulva is referred to as a good nutrient transport species -- worth a try, I think. I have ulva in my tank as well as part of the rock work... seems to help, though I haven't gone through a thorough process of experimentation to verify:

"Increased nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations in these waters often resulted in large-scale macroalgal blooms, especially of species belonging to the genera Enteromorpha, Ulva, Cladophora, andChaetomorpha13,14."

www.nature.com/articles/srep28821

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From an article from Nature.com, seems like Ulva is referred to as a good nutrient transport species -- worth a try, I think. I have ulva in my tank as well as part of the rock work... seems to help, though I haven't gone through a thorough process of experimentation to verify:

"Increased nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations in these waters often resulted in large-scale macroalgal blooms, especially of species belonging to the genera Enteromorpha, Ulva, Cladophora, andChaetomorpha13,14."

www.nature.com/articles/srep28821

Thanks for the info.. Does the Ulva grow quick, or is it a slow grower in your tank? And does it need any maintenance like Chaeto does? Just from your experience.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d7542ff644095e13d344f52d2da7af0a.jpg

New spot. Seemed to be restricting flow at overflow. Maybe too dark here?

Yes that is definitely too dark for the Chaeto to grow. It needs light right on it. Also to your other question about the pods getting sucked up... It depends on how much flow there is and if the pods can exit through the bottom of your box. It depends on the type of pods you have. Tigger pods are free-swimming (orange) and have more of a chance of being sucked up regardless. Tisbe pods tend to live at the rock/substrate level. So they will exit the box and go down. But the ones that do get sucked up will live off the detritus in the filter floss until it's changed.

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info.. Does the Ulva grow quick, or is it a slow grower in your tank? And does it need any maintenance like Chaeto does? Just from your experience.
It's a medium grower... meaning it grows but not aggressively... however, it is easy to trim. Just pinch and pluck

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to get a biz trip...but when I get back, I'll see how well my pod hotel is holding up in terms of helping maintain a good pod population.

I added two more mandarin gobies (green this time) to my tank. So total of 3, including the current spotted mandarin female already there. (I know this is controversial and taboo)

Original thought was to leverage my home tank as a temporary home while I am on my trip, and then transfer the green mandarins to my tank at work.

But, the 3 all see to huddle up and hang out together so now, I am considering making this a longer term arrangement.

Just in case, I have a separate pod farm going with some old tank water I was changing out as well as another tank on standby to pull any troublemakers or troubled out.

Also thinking about playing with some pod hotel designs and testing them out.

Will try to update now and then when I can.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your idea is working very well. I have pods EVERYWHERE. Here's how I light my chaeto. Every night around 9 I just bend the gooseneck back and shine the light directly on the back chamber until about 7 am when I leave for work, then the light timer comes back into play.
IMG_4521.JPG

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! I'm happy to hear that you're having success! :)

I started my "pod catridge" idea on another thread. Will let you know how that goes...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using a sponge (one of those mesh bath sponges) Any reason that something in an acrylic box would be a better idea? Just curious mostly.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who want to use macro algae instead. A small container will keep the algae from making a mess, and it will help with nutrient export.

I've been using a sponge (one of those mesh bath sponges) Any reason that something in an acrylic box would be a better idea? Just curious mostly.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those who want to use macro algae instead. A small container will keep the algae from making a mess, and it will help with nutrient export.
For sure! And would act as a small refugium. I'm thinking it would probably also be more convenient as the sponge can get clown around or sucked up by a pump. I was just mostly curious if it made a difference to the pods and their population.

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain what's going on here? I understand 'pods' are a food source for certain fish. I understand the idea of a pod hotel is a place in your tank they live. But what exactly is a pod, why is there the chaeto etc? Is it something the pods hang on to? And they won't just float out into the main area of the tank?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pods generally refer to isopods and copepods and chaeto is commonly used as their home. yes, they can float out into the water column but that's the point. it's generally best if they have a safe haven (chaeto) so they don't all get eaten at once and so they can reproduce.

Can someone explain what's going on here? I understand 'pods' are a food source for certain fish. I understand the idea of a pod hotel is a place in your tank they live. But what exactly is a pod, why is there the chaeto etc? Is it something the pods hang on to? And they won't just float out into the main area of the tank?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a 2fer! Chaeto control and a pod hotel in one!

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pods generally refer to isopods and copepods and chaeto is commonly used as their home. yes, they can float out into the water column but that's the point. it's generally best if they have a safe haven (chaeto) so they don't all get eaten at once and so they can reproduce.
I see. And you need to also buy a bunch of pods and chaeto (for example) and put in your sump so they can reproduce there? And then will the return pump bring them up into the DT or would you have to swap in new Chaeto for the Chaeto in the pod hotel every so often to replenish the stock in the DT?

Finally, does the Chaeto in the DT require a light on it? Looks like everyone has one

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back