DIY Quick and Cheap Pod Hotel

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone (particularly fellow nano reefers) is looking to put together a quick and dirty pod hotel, here's a quick and dirty idea that's worked really well for me, and my now extremely fat mandarin.

Best part is it only cost me $2.50 at my local TAP Plastic store and a few minutes of drilling. (Granted not careful drilling as this was originally meant as a trial/prototype...but git lazy and just kept it as is in my tank, cracks and all)

I left the bottom undrilled to keeps sand out but drilled all sides and top. Stuffed it with chaeto and stuck it in a corner of my tank with my powerhead sitting on top, which helps water movement through the box. Also, put a cheap USB led mini lamp to shine onto the chaeto from the outside to keep it healthy and happy (box is located in dark corner of tank).

20170426_174440.jpg

Last edited:

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about trying this for my rainford goby. Is any kind of plastic reef safe? Won't leach anything into the water?

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably should have clarified I used an acrylic box. Figured no worse than an acrylic tank. I haven't noticed any ill effect.

Can't speak expertly about whether it will leach over time but I think it will be minimal if any.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could find a tiny acrylic box.. I want to do this in my Nuvo 10.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a TAP Plastic store near you? If not, try an office supply store.

Never even heard of it. I'll try to look around in stores. Maybe take Katrina's advice and go stroll down the makeup aisle :)

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto, while a great nutrient exporter, is just sooo messy. Pieces of it get everywhere and decay, especially when you prune it. I wish there was something that worked as well that was less of a headache. Other macro algae you have to worry about it going sexual... ect... I wish there was just something you could leave to do its job and then trim it without tiny pieces flying all around. Maybe I'll try that big round one. What's it called again? Ulva or something like that?

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55228668fa561e7e9aee3a5418bf6aaa.jpg
e24030e4cafeaaab2aeddf202451dd73.jpg

If this works out I'm going to stick it in my second chamber with a light back there.
Looks good!

Only suggestion, if you haven't already done so, is to maybe drill at least one larger hole at top that will fit a baster tip to make it easier to load supplemental pods and/or feed phyto directly.

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto, while a great nutrient exporter, is just sooo messy. Pieces of it get everywhere and decay, especially when you prune it. I wish there was something that worked as well that was less of a headache. Other macro algae you have to worry about it going sexual... ect... I wish there was just something you could leave to do its job and then trim it without tiny pieces flying all around. Maybe I'll try that big round one. What's it called again? Ulva or something like that?
You mean caulerpa? Ulva is the lettuce looking one...

One advantage of chaeto in a box is that you can always take out to trim and then put back in your tank. Minimizes mess floating in tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back