DIY Quick and Cheap Pod Hotel

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. And you need to also buy a bunch of pods and chaeto (for example) and put in your sump so they can reproduce there? And then will the return pump bring them up into the DT or would you have to swap in new Chaeto for the Chaeto in the pod hotel every so often to replenish the stock in the DT?

Finally, does the Chaeto in the DT require a light on it? Looks like everyone has one
Yes the pods in a sump will be sent up to the dt via pump. Chaeto grows best under a certain amount (and spectrum) of light.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about one of these under a rock or 2 in the back? I used to use em as pod hotels in my biocube.
0007389_plastic_juna_plastic_scrub_pad.jpeg

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about one of these under a rock or 2 in the back? I used to use em as pod hotels in my biocube.
0007389_plastic_juna_plastic_scrub_pad.jpeg
Took a break from the forum due to travel and work... so bumping a slightly old thread.

The sponges might work but you do lose put on a bit of extra nutrient export that the chaeto supplies. That being said, I tested out a pod hotel idea using filter floss... the results weren't as good to poor. Despite adding constant pods, I found that the in tank reproduction rate was lacking significantly.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took a break from the forum due to travel and work... so bumping a slightly old thread.

The sponges might work but you do lose put on a bit of extra nutrient export that the chaeto supplies. That being said, I tested out a pod hotel idea using filter floss... the results weren't as good to poor. Despite adding constant pods, I found that the in tank reproduction rate was lacking significantly.
I agree.

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... just seed in once or twice and you're set.

I poured the pods with the tube part of a baster into the pod hotel... and that's it. Self sustaining

Back