• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

DIY rebuilt old MaxSpect G2 driver modules... good for tinkerers.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I rebuilt my old MaxSpect G2 lights as documented in this thread.....

Now that I've upgraded, I'm trading off some parts of those lights, mainly just the two control boxes.
Each has three timer channels, with Meanwell APC-35 LED drivers, and a very robust 12v circuit to power fans and other ancillaries.
If you're the DIY type these will very competently drive a custom LED array with minimal fuss.
There's also a thermocouple channel in there as well for temp readings..... the controllers start to alarm without one connected.
I unfortunately don't know what type of thermocouple they need.

Two channels currently have 500ma drivers, the third channel is a 700ma driver.
I'll also toss in two more 350ma driver modules that I never used.

Honestly, I really don't care what I get in trade/payment for these as long as it makes the shipping cost worthwhile.
I just don't want to trash them.

(The LED arrays I did end up junking, I felt they had too much corrosion from the years of salt exposure, and didn't feel comfortable passing them along).

Here's what they look like on the outside..... couldn't fit all three drivers in the original MaxSpect cases. The cables that ran to the LED arrays are NOT included. Too much corrosion on the opposite side connector.

1679774729994.png

Here's the internals. The top part is the old/original guts before I trashed them, bottom is the new distribution board that went in.
Uses the original MaxSpect timer board.... about the only thing in these lights that worked well from the factory.

1679774753776.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back