DIM4 Controller for DIY LED Lighting

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a product review forum but since this is specifically for use with DIY LED builds I figure I would post it here. If it would be better in another place let me know.

For folks that have built fixtures and would like to be able to program the lighting schedules, sunrise/sunset, drive fans, switch the drivers on and off rather than using timers, and do not have or use their aquarium controller for this purpose I found this nice product and thought I would share my thoughts and make others aware of it. I have been using 2 of these for several months and cannot be happier. Its call the DIM4 and costs $79. Here's an overview for anyone interested:

This little guy packs a nice set of features, is much less costly than a full blown controller, and is specifically designed for those of us who have built our own LED fixtures and used dimming type drivers but have no way to automate the lighting schedule.

The DIM4

DIM4.jpg

The DIM4 has 4 channels of programmable output to control drivers such as the Meanwell ELN or HLG lines. Its output is 0-10V analog dimming so the drivers cannot be PWM dimming type...I believe inventronics has analog dimming as well. Each channel also has the ability to direct drive 3 or 4 LEDs up to 500ma...so think moonlighting or even a nano tank setup. Finally channels 1 and 3 have relay outputs (right side of the board). As soon as channel 1 or 3 turn on per your programmed schedule the relay outputs turn on and put out 12V. I'll describe how I use these in a minute.

Programming is very simple with 3 buttons at the bottom of the board. Select takes you to Set Time and then each Channel parameters which is also very simple. Once you set the time you push the select button and you are on channel 1.

Each channel then has 5 settings:
Max drive - max output to your driver dimming circuit. ie 0-10V
Start Time - time you want to turn that channel on
Full on time - time you want to hit your max voltage on the dimming circuit...max light output
End Full - time to end the max output...difference between this and full on is how long its at peak setting
Off - Turn off that channel

In my 120g fixture I am using 2 large Meanwell HLG drivers and this line does not dim to off with zero voltage so I initially had my drivers on timers which would power them on and off. The problem with any other controller I looked at is that I would still have to run these drivers on timers and then use the controller to control the lighting schedule. With the DIM4 I use the relay outputs! I purchased 2 solid state relays (SSR) and connect these to the relay output channels. The power for the drivers now runs through the relay such that when the controller turns that channel on power is provided seamlessly to that driver and I no longer need any mechanical timers! Yeah!

The other benefit of the relay outputs I discovered was the ability to direct drive my cooling fans right off the controller utilizing the same relay outputs. I just ganged on the power lead for the fans into the same lug that runs to the relay. So when the controller turns on that channel, the driver powers up, the lights come on, the fans turn on, and the lighting schedule begins. Pretty slick. So was able to lose a timer from each driver, a separate timer for the fans, and a separate 12V power supply for the fans! Pretty Good and for $79 well worth it my opinion.

I run my schedule as follows:

10am - blue driver switches on and output at this level from the driver is initially is probably 50ma (the controller output is just starting the ramp to the driver). Its like moonlights but with a lot of them. Full on is 1pm and I run the blues at 9V which is 90% of the max output of the driver and in my case each string has a max potential of 1A so these are set for approximately 900ma max. So on at 10am ramp to full at 1pm.

12 noon - whites come one (which includes greens and reds). Full on is at 4pm. So ramp is from noon to 4pm. I have this max setting at 5V only which in my case is about 500ma.

4:15 - whites end full on. I only peak for 15 minutes.

6:30 - Blues end full on.

9pm - white off - ramp down from full on 4:15 to 9pm

11pm - blues off - ramp down from full on 6:30 to 11pm.

With the above schedule and my colors there are some beautiful blues and purples during sunrise and set. During peak time at 4-4:15 the tank is quite bright and cool white. My corals are doing extremely well and I now have alot of SPS. Link to my tank pics thread here https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/68615-my-120g-3.html#post833166

So there it is a semi-product dedicated for us LED DIY'ers...I say semi because what you see pictured is what you get....the controller as shown and you get to mount it how you like. I really really like this thing. I follow the thread over on RC on how to build your own controller and there's the typhon which has spun off of that but man...those things are alot of work, would cost no less than this, and don't have the features. So before the DIM4 I just went with timers. I am much happier now with this thing. Its pretty cool. I'd be happy to answer any questions since I like this thing so much and am recommending it to the DIY community.

bluwinghawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to know more about this equipment where and what kind of leds do i need and im thinking of building my own for a 65g reef set-up can i do this for under $500 i have been looking for a new light and the only 1 i like so far is a t5 (4) 54w bulb setup programable and thats around $500
thanks

OP
OP
Onedesign1

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No random events with the DIM4. It's purpose built to automate our lighting schedules. Those events IMO are nothing more than 'gee that's cool' moments and I can't see any benefits from them. I have seen some cool YouTube vids complete with sounds of thunder pumping thru a stereo but other than 'thats cool' I'm not sure what it accomplishes but certainly is beyond the costs we're talking here

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write-up on the benefits of the DIM4.

i would like to know more about this equipment where and what kind of leds do i need and im thinking of building my own for a 65g reef set-up can i do this for under $500 i have been looking for a new light and the only 1 i like so far is a t5 (4) 54w bulb setup programable and thats around $500
thanks

I spent around $550 on mine about a year and a half ago (not including a controller) for my 65 gallon tank. I think you can do it for a bit less now. However, you really should start your own thread if you want advice.

CJ

Back