DIY Robotic Tester - BoraTronic

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should tell the "King of DIY" to step aside on YouTube. Your work amazes me.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very helpful! I will incorporate PWM LED signal for LED when designing connector for RGB sensor (I still have not sent the boards for printing).
I do not think PWM is a good idea in this context. PWM is OK for the human eye which integrates light over a period of time. But the RGB sensor will pick momentary values, at which time the LED can be either ON or OFF. Therefore you will be measuring erratic values. Taking the average over multiple readings might help a bit, if the interval over which the measurements are accumulated is long enough, but there will be no benefit from using PWM anyway. I think you should use a simple white LED supplied from a stable voltage source through a resistor. Or, if you want to control the current for some reason, use a linear current regulator, not digital. You can find the schematics based on commonly available inexpensive components if you dig the Internet. Or drop me a line if you need help with this.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently shining a light through the vial and then using the adafruit rgb sensor on the other side. So far this has given me very good accuracy and reliability when the sensor and led is kept at the same position in a dark housing.
May I ask for your advice here:

what kind of LED are you using to shine light through vial?

On my PCB design I currently have (a number of) power connectors for 3.3v, 5v and 12v - but I am wondering if I need some other (lower) voltage regulator for this led... The LED does not need to be super-bright, I think something like 1W led would do?

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folkes, following my version 1 blunder (some erroneous choice for Arduino Mega 2560 pinout) , I have re-designed the PCB. This time I printed it on a piece of paper and ensured that:
(1) components' pins layout match the design
(2) components do not obstruct each other

This time I also added various redundancy connectors:
(1) additional 5v voltage regulator with output pins
(2) 2x additional 3.3v voltage regulator with output pins (12v->3.3v and 5v->3.3v)
(3) additional unconnected 3 pin and 4 pin connectors
(4) plenty of "spare" connectors, some of which will be used for controlling optical switches to position the rig

PCB is ready for production, I will upload it tonight for printing in China.

20220122_152735.jpg

Attachments

• BoraTronic_pcb.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 100
OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also printing some parts for a future DIY project. It's a top-secret for now but in due time I will let the chosen ones know...

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1W LED would be way too powerful, you would probably need only 0.1W. But you can use a 1W emitter and drive small current through it - that way it will serve longer and produce much less heat. Forward voltage over white LEDs is about 3V (for good LEDs Vf should be something like 2.6-2.7V, but higher for crappy Chinese LEDs).
So, for 1W LEDs you can drive a current up to 300mA. But if you drive up to 30mA, then it will become 0.1W LED. The 5V supply should be sufficient, but you can also use the 12V supply.
If you want very fine current adjustment and stability, you could use something like LT3092 - but there are no ready-made modules using this chip. Of course, you can design a small PCB for this, but it will probably be an overkill. Providing that your power supplies are stable, I suggest that you use a simple resistor connected in series with the LED. You can calculate its value using Ohm's law: R=(Supply_voltage - LED_voltage)/Desired_current. If using 12V supply, and supposing that your LED Vf is 2.7V, and you want 30mA (0.03A) current, then the required resistance would be (12-2.7)/0.030=310 Ohm. Meaning that you can use a standard 0.5W resistor of either 300 Ohm or 330 Ohm, connected to your 12V supply in series with the LED.
If you want to use the 5V supply, you will need R=(5-2.7)/0.03=76 Ohm, so you can use the nearest standard value of 75 Ohm (next is 82 Ohm and will give you slightly less current). But in case of 5V supply, any voltage instability will result in more variation of current if using this circuit. So, if you go with the current limiting resistor approach, I suggest that you use the 12V supply, and if you want to use the 5V supply, you'd rather use a chip that is capable of precise current regulation (like LT3092 that I have mentioned above)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1W LED would be way too powerful, you would probably need only 0.1W. But you can use a 1W emitter and drive small current through it - that way it will serve longer and produce much less heat. Forward voltage over white LEDs is about 3V (for good LEDs Vf should be something like 2.6-2.7V, but higher for crappy Chinese LEDs).
So, for 1W LEDs you can drive a current up to 300mA. But if you drive up to 30mA, then it will become 0.1W LED. The 5V supply should be sufficient, but you can also use the 12V supply.
If you want very fine current adjustment and stability, you could use something like LT3092 - but there are no ready-made modules using this chip. Of course, you can design a small PCB for this, but it will probably be an overkill. Providing that your power supplies are stable, I suggest that you use a simple resistor connected in series with the LED. You can calculate its value using Ohm's law: R=(Supply_voltage - LED_voltage)/Desired_current. If using 12V supply, and supposing that your LED Vf is 2.7V, and you want 30mA (0.03A) current, then the required resistance would be (12-2.7)/0.030=310 Ohm. Meaning that you can use a standard 0.5W resistor of either 300 Ohm or 330 Ohm, connected to your 12V supply in series with the LED.
I am inclined to just use the led onboard the chip: I can make reflective surface on the opposite end easily and see if that' sufficient...

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am inclined to just use the led onboard the chip: I can make reflective surface on the opposite end easily and see if that' sufficient...
Yes, you can do that, and it will probably work. But the detector will also catch the reflected light from the vial wall - and that light has not passed through the solution. Yes, you can use cancellation for this, as it will probably be a constant, but it will reduce the dynamic range. In my opinion, moving the LED to the opposite side to the detector is a better approach. But of course, you may start it as you mentioned, and then can fetch another LED on the opposite side at a later point.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 syringes sets I bought slightly differ by tube thickness:

20220123_131844.jpg

20220123_131901.jpg

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also checked the syringe that comes with Salifert test (e.g. Calcium) - it's yet of another set of dimenions:

20220123_133131.jpg

20220123_132951.jpg

20220123_133019.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back