DIY Rock Tutorial/Info Thread (Rocks, walls, floors, etc.)

artreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)

20190122_140426.jpg

Adam Puryear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone attempted to replicate tonga branch? I noticed that the op recommends using fiber glass or acrylic waste to strengthen branches... I have no idea where one might aquire this 'waste,' might any of you? Also, i have read where walt Smith usees pumice stone as an agregate. Any thoughts or experience with pumice in a reef?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining a new forum is kinda like starting fresh for me, and I definitely love to contribute when I can. I've casually scanned the threads in this area and haven't seen much in the way of DIY rocks and rock projects.

Since making DIY rock is my business, I'd like to think of myself as somewhat well-knowing of the subject. I've definitely tried a whole lotta methods, ingredients, and have failed many, many times before I got to where I am today. I am constantly learning new things and am always open minded to new ideas.

Why am I doing this if this is my business? Truth be told making rock takes a lot of time (Major patience), learning, skill, sometimes luck, and more... if you want it done right. Most people (My clients' customers.. I am a wholesaler) would rather just buy the rock than make it themselves... and it makes sense for most people. Some people have an advantage of having certain equipment and/or background to make rock well and at a low cost... most others do not. Plus it ain't like I'll be giving ALL my secrets away! ;)

I am going to write a tutorial about rock making (Including rock walls, floors, etc.).. a process that will take time as I'd like to be as thorough as possible, not to mention get people's opinions/experiences. At the end I will combine all info into a longer, more complete post and I'll post a newer version as time goes by, should it be needed.

Each new post that I write will be like a chapter and my current outline will be the following:

1. Materials, ingredients, and tools
2. Recipes and casting material
3. Temperature requirements, mixing methods and requirements, water amounts, and hydration
4. "Curing"
5. "Kuring"
6. Results (In aquarium water)

I should also mention I will be talking strictly about DIY rocks... I have no training or experience in things like foam projects. Look forward to having the first chapter out by tomorrow night. Don't be shy to ask questions and/or post your experiences and opinions! :D
Next few days I'm making some dry rock. Look forward your thread, thanks for sharing, comrade

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
beautiful scaping !!!

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no substitute for "real" live rock.
You will overstock, too fast, like almost everyone does.
And that concrete will not support the bio load. It would take a long time before it is ready to support even a lite load of life. That's why we read on here so many cases of algae problems. Just my opinion. Now a mix of "real" live rock with the concrete would be much better. Gives the creatures in the live rock a chance to migrate to the concrete rock and the bacteria also. I know, the pest argument. But I think it is very over blown.

artreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no substitute for "real" live rock.
You will overstock, too fast, like almost everyone does.
And that concrete will not support the bio load. It would take a long time before it is ready to support even a lite load of life. That's why we read on here so many cases of algae problems. Just my opinion. Now a mix of "real" live rock with the concrete would be much better. Gives the creatures in the live rock a chance to migrate to the concrete rock and the bacteria also. I know, the pest argument. But I think it is very over blown.
Liverock is still the best to use, it’s just that illegal to collect from the reefs in my area. Take a look at this artificial rocks used since February, lots of coralline algae,snail eggs and sponges all over it and water parameters are always with in range.

3A12DE4A-B0CE-44B9-9B1A-4E226782B995.jpeg

20B2A1D8-C160-42F6-83CA-D397AF9B6D79.jpeg

artreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you reveal us, how did you succeed that, or is it an industry secret ? :)
The porosity makes it cure faster and I make sure it is well cured by testing the water parameters before selling.

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The porosity makes it cure faster and I make sure it is well cured by testing the water parameters before selling.
I was referring to the floating islands. How and where did you attach them, and they seem to floating.

artreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to the floating islands. How and where did you attach them, and they seem to floating.
Magnets bro just like the glass cleaner though some used silicon to glue it on the back and sides of the tank.Pic attached used silicon before cycling starts (still no light on the pic)

6DB6881B-7DCD-4C37-B991-11E3AF455042.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back