DIY Rollermat

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting tired of changing socks and needed a project so I designed this in Tinkercad to fit in my 40g breeder sump. I've only dry tested so far but seems like it'll work ok. The motor, power supply, and float switch can all be purchased off of Amazon pretty cheap. STLs are here...

1x Bringsmart 12V 6rpm DC Worm Gear Motor
1x Side Mounted Horizontal Liquid Float Switch
4x M3*8 Cap Screws
SK-3000 Replacement Fine Fleece XL

20220316_112203.jpg 20220316_112222.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, dropped in the tank and right away needed some changes. Had to add some overhang (?) to the bottom of the hangers so that they'd stand perpendicular to the glass and not droop. Also added proper threads to the clamp brackets and a diffuser to the top inlet to prevent the float valve from a direct hit of the incoming water. I left it unplugged and my socks in place for the night as I hadn't printed that last piece. Turns out it might not need it. When I checked today the filter was already overflowing (so much for my socks!)... I quickly plugged it in and it immediately advanced a few inches the water dropped as expected.

Attachments

• 20220319_145739.jpg
    20220319_145739.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 177
OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several weeks of wet testing I'm quite happy with the results. Although I've made a bunch of changes/improvements along the way. Last remaining thing is to get the Reef-Pi integration working so I can monitor/control it remotely....

Attachments

• Rollermat - Front.png
    Rollermat - Front.png
    673.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Rollermat - Right.png
    Rollermat - Right.png
    370.9 KB · Views: 139

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several weeks of wet testing I'm quite happy with the results. Although I've made a bunch of changes/improvements along the way. Last remaining thing is to get the Reef-Pi integration working so I can monitor/control it remotely....
so, ready to print ? i could start in these days.
For how many liters do you suggest this ? I see the basement is pretty small compared to commercial roller mat

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, ready to print ? i could start in these days.
For how many liters do you suggest this ? I see the basement is pretty small compared to commercial roller mat
Hmm, I guess I haven't seen any of the commercial units in person so I can't really compare. The filter body measures 100x110x200 mm and my tank's a 65g display with a 40g remote sump is that helps.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 400 liters (probably i'll get a new bigger one by the end of this year), i don't know if this filter will be ok or too small.

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'd assume the sizing is related to the roll width. I designed this for a four inch roll so maybe take a look at the ratings for similar commercial systems and go by that. Along those lines this BRS video might help...

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool, these starting hitting right as I took my tank down.

What's the verdict on their effectiveness now?

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been almost a year so I figured I update the old thread. Rollermat's still working great and I haven't missed the socks. However I did have to replace the roller motor due to all the salt corrosion! With the new one I silicon sealed the housing so hopefully that'll resolve the problem....

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool, these starting hitting right as I took my tank down.

What's the verdict on their effectiveness now?
Wow, that's some weird timing as I was just posting an update... to your question, I think it works as well or better than the dual 4in sock setup it replaced, if nothing more than I don't "forget" to change them evey other day....

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's some weird timing as I was just posting an update... to your question, I think it works as well or better than the dual 4in sock setup it replaced, if nothing more than I don't "forget" to change them evey other day....

Nice!

Those were just coming out along with the long style wavemakers... 2016/2017... what was the verdict on those?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back