DIY Skimmate Container

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PREFACE

I currently collect my skimmate in a one gallon fruit juice container that sits in a cut-down five gallon salt bucket that contains a float switch to kill the skimmer if the fruit juice container overflows. Functional, but big and ugly.

IMG_5261.jpg

I looked into purchasing a commercial skimmate container, but was shocked to see them at $150 - $200 for a piece of pipe with two ends and a float switch. So to the shop I went….but first to Home Depot (and Lowe’s).

PARTS

18¾” - 4” PVC Pipe ------------------------(have)
2 - 4” Knock-out Test Caps ---------------$0.36/each
2 - 3/8 Ouick Connect Elbow x ¼ NPT -----$2.38/each
10ft - 3/8 OD Clear Vinyl Tubing -----------$3.11
1 - 4” DWV Coupling ----------------------$2.32
1 - ½” Female NPT Elbow with ½ Barb -----$0.94
1 - ½” Extender (Lowes) ------------------$0.66
1 - ½” Extender (HD) ---------------------$0.66
2 - ¼ x ¾ Nylon Hex Bolt -----------------$0.67
1 - Float Switch (120V) -------------------(have)
PVC Cleaner and Glue ---------------------(have)
TOTAL (without tax) ---------------------$13.18

PartsA.jpg

PartsB.jpg

THE BUILD (Base Container)

I cut the 4” pipe at 18 ¾” because this was close to the level of the 40 breeder sump I have. This calculates out to a total volume of a tad more than one gallon, if it was filled right to the top. I began by drilling two 7/16 holes for the sight tube three inches down from each end (that eventually would be tapped for the ¼ npt fittings). I didn’t put these holes right at the very top and very bottom because I wanted to leave room if I wanted to put some kind of restraint to hold this thing upright. I then glued the knock-out cap to the bottom of the pipe.

I now cut the coupling into three sections; approximate a quarter of the coupling; and then a second quarter making sure to eliminate the center “stop” portion. The remaining half was cleaned up to eliminate that “stop” portion as well….this part will become the top, while one of the quarters will be used to add support to the base:

Coupling.jpg

One of the quarters was glued to the base to add additional support.

I was now ready to tap the two holes to fit the ¼” NPT elbows….but could I find my pipe tap…….NO! I wasn’t ready to go buy another tap, knowing I had one somewhere. So I improvised by using a brass fitting that acted as the tap. I put the pipe and the fitting in my vise and as I tightened the vise, I turned the fitting. It worked!

Tapping.jpg

The elbows where installed and a piece of tubing was placed between the two elbows to act as the sight tube to note how much skimmate was in the container.

SkimmateContainer.jpg

An appromate ½” of 4” pipe was cut, and the remaining knock-off was glued to this piece. This assemble was then glued into the half-piece of coupling. This made the top. This top fit too snug, so a power rotary rasp was used to rasp the inside of this piece; until it fit easily on the four inch pipe.

The longer threaded extender was cut just below the male threads. This small piece was used to attach the barbed elbow to the top (through a 7/8” hole), leaving it loose so that it could turn easily. The remaining piece of this coupling was drilled and tapped to accept the ¼ - 20 bolt. This piece was attached to the top with the remaining extender coupling through a second 7/8” hole. And here’s the top:

SkimmerContainerTop.jpg

The barb fitting will attach to the drain tubing from the skimmer cup while the other fitting will hold the float valve switch by tightening the Teflon bolt.

When I get it into place, I’ll add a final photo.

Last edited:

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear tubing will get cruddy to a point that if not cleaned you will have a tough time telling how much crud is in there. You will have to post a DIY for the tube cleaner. Kidding nice work looks great.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind comments. And no, I will not be making these for anyone.....unless you want to pay me $200! I’m a tinkerer, and this little tinker took a number of days (weeks) of head-scratching, and a day of tinkering. I’m already on my next tinker.

Clear tubing will get cruddy to a point that if not cleaned you will have a tough time telling how much crud is in there. You will have to post a DIY for the tube cleaner. Kidding nice work looks great.

I actually already have a tubing cleaner for tubing up to about a foot and a half. :tongue: I use it to clear the breather tubes on my Glass-Holes overflow. It would work well for these relative short pieces of tubing.

Actually this dirty tubing was anticipated. The elbows are quick connect/disconnect elbows (John Guest style). I can change the tubing in less than a minute. I purchased ten feet tubing so all is well. but thanks for the heads-up. :bigsmile:

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet. nice DIY! I might have to make a couple of these. Thanks for sharing. good on ya for putting this out there for us. So, I gotta ask....what's the next "tinker"??

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, MBG and Jlobes.

On another forum I was asked what the cost would be if I included the stuff I already had (4†pipe and the float switch.) Well 110V float switches with the amps to drive motors are pretty costly, so here’s a cost breakdown using a relay with float switch from Aquahub. The other parts are priced from Home Depot online prices. The electric box will also serve as the project box for the relay. The extension cord will have the socket end cut off and be used to supply electricity to the outlet. Also note that this float switch has a threaded mount that would change the top cover installation (I think making it easier.)

Home Depot----------------------------------------------------$9.07
4†x 2 ft PVC Pipe-----------------$3.56***
Plastic 2 gang electric box --------$1.97
Outlet-----------------------------$0.59
Extension cord (6ft)---------------$1.47
Cover Plate------------------------$1.48
*** based on a 10ft length costing $17.79. I know my HD sells short lengths of pipe, but these costs are not available online, so I priced a 10 ft length cut to 2 ft.

Aquahub Stuff--------------------------------------------------$27.56
Float switch------------------------$6.99
DPDT Relay-------------------------$7.99
Relay Socket-----------------------$4.99
12V Wall Transformer--------------$7.59

So for an additional $36.63 (or a total of $49.18), you too can have one of these collectors. Darn, now it sounds expensive. That's why I like using stuff I have around the house...it's like you get it for nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new skimmate container is in!

As a reminder, here is the old fruit jug:

OldSkimmerCollectionJug.jpg

And here is the new one, which fits perfectly on the small section of the stand. I actually made a second base unit to allow a quick change and the time to clean the dirty one. I’m very happy.

NewSkimmateCollectionContainer.jpg

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a little over two years since I built these skimmate containers, and I just wanted to update my experience with them. First off, I couldn't live without a container to collect skimmate. Now the good news.....I've found that the sight tubes on the sides (which are a pain to install), aren't really necessary. I really never used them, and what caused me to empty these things was the odor. After about a month you start to notice this stench, and this olfactory sensor tells you that the containers needed to be emptied.....most times, about 1/3 full. So with no sight tubes, it makes this build very easy.

Over the past two years, the emergency float to turn off the skimmer only happened once, when the skimmer decided to puke.....and it worked flawlessly.

If you don't have a skimmate container, and have the DIY bug, I'd highly suggest building one of these.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back