DIY Stand Question - Woodworking/structure Expert help needed first time 125g

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) you only need lager lumber for the top frame. The rest can be 2X4.
2) a 2x6 top is plenty for a 125 especially with a good top to help spread the load.
3) the shell can be just about any style you want given a proper structure behind it.

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok frame is just about done, now I have to wrap it and design.

Should I keep 2x4 frame on floor or use a plywood for the bottom? Also can I use this OSB board for the bottom/sump bottom? Gonna get thick plywood for the top

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually build custom furniture, most of the last year has been farmhouse style like your pictures. I will make some suggestions, I would purchase a small tablesaw, not a circular saw. As far as using 2x6's for the top, i wouldn't suggest it. The lumbar purchased in stores is made to build homes, not furniture. When I use would like this I run it through a thickness planer, it takes off 1/16" of wood off the top to make it flat, the wood then needs to be run across a jointer to make the sides square. Not to mention that this wood has a high moisture level-they can twist as they dry.

As far as painting, look into chalk paint. Paint stand with flat brown paint, then white chalk paint, sand with 220 grit paper, then paint clear top coat to protect it. Pine paints nice because it has a lot of knots and grain.

When I built my stand I built a stand out of 2x4's for strength, I then made a "skin" to wrap it in to make it look the way i wanted.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok frame is just about done, now I have to wrap it and design.

Should I keep 2x4 frame on floor or use a plywood for the bottom? Also can I use this OSB board for the bottom/sump bottom? Gonna get thick plywood for the top

I am not sure about OSB.. OSB is made with water proof glue and can stand up to water some. It is mainly used for floors and roofs. No one I know has ever used it for a Aquarium stand. It could be like treated wood and have chemical not good for a reef tank or maybe not good for painting and everything should be painted or sealed.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually build custom furniture, most of the last year has been farmhouse style like your pictures. I will make some suggestions, I would purchase a small tablesaw, not a circular saw. As far as using 2x6's for the top, i wouldn't suggest it. The lumbar purchased in stores is made to build homes, not furniture. When I use would like this I run it through a thickness planer, it takes off 1/16" of wood off the top to make it flat, the wood then needs to be run across a jointer to make the sides square. Not to mention that this wood has a high moisture level-they can twist as they dry.

As far as painting, look into chalk paint. Paint stand with flat brown paint, then white chalk paint, sand with 220 grit paper, then paint clear top coat to protect it. Pine paints nice because it has a lot of knots and grain.

When I built my stand I built a stand out of 2x4's for strength, I then made a "skin" to wrap it in to make it look the way i wanted.

Certainty would be nice but I would guess over 95 percent of the people don't use furniture grade lumber for dyi stands or have a lathe or jointer.. The pic of mine above only used furniture grade for the top and the skin. All of it was oak.

Top needs to be level and flat for sure especially for non rimmed tanks.

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like thickest plywood for flat top is 3/4" so ill have to trim for design. Just curious about OSB for sump /bottom to level out better since boards are inherently slightly not perfect.

Also is this corner gonna be issue? Guess rimmed tank sits on the main 2x6 boards

20200917_091955.jpg 20200917_092018.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back