diy stand questions

The outside of my stand is 36” but that only leaves me around 25” on the inside, unless I’m between cross supports then I have about 30”. I wish I would’ve made it a little taller, but it’s good enough that almost any skimmer will fit.
whats a good amount of 2 x6 do you recomend? im thinking 9 8 footers?
 
I just used traditional 2x6 studs and for screws I used 3” coated decking screws. I built mine years ago and I don’t remember how many boards I needed. I just drew a diagram so I knew exactly how many board and what lengths I needed.
I would strongly recommend against using pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber is wet and wet lumber is more likely to bow and warp when it dries unevenly. If worried about moisture after the stand is built you can coat it with a weatherproofing paint, I didn’t though.
 
I just used traditional 2x6 studs and for screws I used 3” coated decking screws. I built mine years ago and I don’t remember how many boards I needed. I just drew a diagram so I knew exactly how many board and what lengths I needed.
I would strongly recommend against using pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber is wet and wet lumber is more likely to bow and warp when it dries unevenly. If worried about moisture after the stand is built you can coat it with a weatherproofing paint, I didn’t though.
i plan on 9 2x6. now that I know that part. not sure on how to do my plumbing as far as the dual corner overflows. but sure ill figure it out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new