OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outside of my stand is 36” but that only leaves me around 25” on the inside, unless I’m between cross supports then I have about 30”. I wish I would’ve made it a little taller, but it’s good enough that almost any skimmer will fit.
whats a good amount of 2 x6 do you recomend? im thinking 9 8 footers?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used traditional 2x6 studs and for screws I used 3” coated decking screws. I built mine years ago and I don’t remember how many boards I needed. I just drew a diagram so I knew exactly how many board and what lengths I needed.
I would strongly recommend against using pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber is wet and wet lumber is more likely to bow and warp when it dries unevenly. If worried about moisture after the stand is built you can coat it with a weatherproofing paint, I didn’t though.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used traditional 2x6 studs and for screws I used 3” coated decking screws. I built mine years ago and I don’t remember how many boards I needed. I just drew a diagram so I knew exactly how many board and what lengths I needed.
I would strongly recommend against using pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber is wet and wet lumber is more likely to bow and warp when it dries unevenly. If worried about moisture after the stand is built you can coat it with a weatherproofing paint, I didn’t though.
i plan on 9 2x6. now that I know that part. not sure on how to do my plumbing as far as the dual corner overflows. but sure ill figure it out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back