DIY Sulfur Denitrification Set-up (Sulfur reactor) Success story

Jb2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this as a reply to a sulfur reactor discussion on another thread and decided to make it its own thread.

I was out of the hobby for about 5 years until this year. Took down my 5-year-old reef and sold everything when we moved and had ambitions of buying a new tank at the new place and starting over. Well, my house flooded during Hurricane Harvey 1 month after we moved in. The house remodel took priority so here I am. I'm actually kind of glad I waited because it seems like the hobby has really come a long way in those 5 years as far as advancements (and live rock prices. Good grief).

That being said during my research to get back in the hobby I was reading about new (to reefers) ways to keep nitrates down. I was happy to try the new things such as zeolite, fleece rollers, and then sulfur denitrification really caught my eye because the field I work in deals with a lot of chemistry surrounding sulfur.

I set up my Red Sea 350 G2 (90-gallon total volume) about 6 months ago with live rock and completed the normal cycle and then slowly bio loaded the tank with fish and corals. I started with a skimmer, fleece roller, and zeolite to see how that did for my nitrates. My numbers would get up to around 20 ppm before water changes and I really wanted to get closer to 2 so I started researching more about the sulfur reactors you could purchase. Luckily, I could find one to buy because the prices I saw were ridiculous. Also, the more I looked at the design I thought they were over engineered with the recirc pumps on them.

I decided to build one out of a standard carbon or GFO reactor changer and use a slow total flow through the chamber to promote near zero O2 concentration.

Fast forward to today:
-I've completely removed my skimmer from the sump and now use that area to grow frags. I initially turned it way down as nitrates closed in on zero and eventually turned it off. A few weeks of it off it started to grow things in it so I removed it. My reef mat does a great job removing waste but I'm looking for something smaller than a traditional skimmer to help promote gas exchange that typically occurs in a skimmer.
-I have a full stream of effluent flow from the sulfur denitrifier with 0.0 PPM as tested on Hannah low range meter
-Currently maintaining 2.0 ppm in main tank (1.7 this morning)
-I adjust the flow of effluent to maintain at least 2.0.
-This thing likes a stable flow. Adjustments will cause nitrate breakthrough for a day and then fall back to zero.
-I didn't fully consider phosphates when I turned the skimmer off because I was so fixated on the nitrates. My Phosphates went to 1.0. I added a GFO reactor, and this quickly solved that issue.

Yes, I've turned the reactor off for a few days to prove that it was the item that was removing the nitrates and not my zeolite filter. I know zeolite is supposed to target more of the ammonia, but I wanted to test anyway. Sure enough, my nitrates went to 10.8 in 3 days. Turned the reactor back on and in a few days, it was back to the 2.0 range.

OK so here are the 4 things I bought for the project below. Bulk reef supply for 3 items and eBay for the other:
reactor.jpg
pump.jpg

adapter.jpg
sulfur 2.jpg

-I used the 1/4 adapters and the slid in perfectly to the inlet and outlets of the reactor and I sealed the connection with epoxy.
-I used 1/4 tubing to make connections to reactor and pump.
-I used 1 liter of sulfur in the reactor. I read somewhere and I can't find the source that a good rule of thumb is 1 liter per 100 gallons of system water volume.
-I started the pump and let it run wide open for 3 days
-After the 3 days i tested the effluent and tank water and they matched at 15 ppm
-I turned it down to 1 drip per second and tested in 3 days. 6 ppm reactor 13ppm tank
-I was happy with this and let it ride for like a week and tested again and it was at 3-8
- Week or so later it was at 0-5
-Bumped up flow rate out of reactor and turned off skimmer.
- Few days later I test and I'm at 0-0. I was happy as hell because I thought this was impossible and then started reading about a zero-nutrient tank (never knew there was such a thing from previous experience) is not good for corals.

Anyways... back to today. Mine has been running for about 3 months, no skimmer, actually dosed nitrates for a bit to get to 2.0ppm and have fine-tuned everything with sulfur reactor flow rate to hold around 2.0. I hope this helps someone and I really hope it works well for anyone that might try it.

Below is a video of my current effluent flow. You'll notice the cheap air regulator that I use to adjust the flow on the outlet. It works very well.

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulphur reactors are awesome. Once dialed in they are great. I keep my out set to 2ppm of nitrates and my tank stays right there. I can raise or lower nitrates by speeding up or slowing down the flow from the reactor. Just be patient let the reactor seed. Dial it in and forget it. I can't believe these are not used more. On my big tank it is a life saver. I still run a skimmer but I did downsize it and I have roller mats. Thai combo has stabilized my entire system so much. Great arrival and glad to see others using this...

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm not hijacking this post..

For the first year I had to dose phosphates and nitrates just to keep them from zeroing out. Then after about a year I started have this problem
My problem has never really been nitrates. I'll have 5ppm nitrates but phosphate will be .25ppm and I can't figure out why and can't figure out a way to get them balanced. Oh and the phosphates are not from feeding I can skip feeding for weeks and it doesn't change the phosphates. Any suggestions? I know this is a denitrator

OP
OP
J

Jb2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm not hijacking this post..

For the first year I had to dose phosphates and nitrates just to keep them from zeroing out. Then after about a year I started have this problem
My problem has never really been nitrates. I'll have 5ppm nitrates but phosphate will be .25ppm and I can't figure out why and can't figure out a way to get them balanced. Oh and the phosphates are not from feeding I can skip feeding for weeks and it doesn't change the phosphates. Any suggestions? I know this is a denitrator
I’ve read articles that specify a certain ratio between Pho and nitrates for them to be consumed by biological means. 100 nitrate to 1 phosphates maybe? Someone correct me if I wrong. I know algae scrubbers won’t work to reduce nitrates if there are no phosphates present. I wondering if it applies the other way around.
I ran into the phosphate problem as well and just started running GFO. Current numbers as of yesterday are 0.03. Are you running and GFO?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back