DIY Sulfur Denitrification Set-up (Sulfur reactor) Success story

Jb2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this as a reply to a sulfur reactor discussion on another thread and decided to make it its own thread.

I was out of the hobby for about 5 years until this year. Took down my 5-year-old reef and sold everything when we moved and had ambitions of buying a new tank at the new place and starting over. Well, my house flooded during Hurricane Harvey 1 month after we moved in. The house remodel took priority so here I am. I'm actually kind of glad I waited because it seems like the hobby has really come a long way in those 5 years as far as advancements (and live rock prices. Good grief).

That being said during my research to get back in the hobby I was reading about new (to reefers) ways to keep nitrates down. I was happy to try the new things such as zeolite, fleece rollers, and then sulfur denitrification really caught my eye because the field I work in deals with a lot of chemistry surrounding sulfur.

I set up my Red Sea 350 G2 (90-gallon total volume) about 6 months ago with live rock and completed the normal cycle and then slowly bio loaded the tank with fish and corals. I started with a skimmer, fleece roller, and zeolite to see how that did for my nitrates. My numbers would get up to around 20 ppm before water changes and I really wanted to get closer to 2 so I started researching more about the sulfur reactors you could purchase. Luckily, I could find one to buy because the prices I saw were ridiculous. Also, the more I looked at the design I thought they were over engineered with the recirc pumps on them.

I decided to build one out of a standard carbon or GFO reactor changer and use a slow total flow through the chamber to promote near zero O2 concentration.

Fast forward to today:
-I've completely removed my skimmer from the sump and now use that area to grow frags. I initially turned it way down as nitrates closed in on zero and eventually turned it off. A few weeks of it off it started to grow things in it so I removed it. My reef mat does a great job removing waste but I'm looking for something smaller than a traditional skimmer to help promote gas exchange that typically occurs in a skimmer.
-I have a full stream of effluent flow from the sulfur denitrifier with 0.0 PPM as tested on Hannah low range meter
-Currently maintaining 2.0 ppm in main tank (1.7 this morning)
-I adjust the flow of effluent to maintain at least 2.0.
-This thing likes a stable flow. Adjustments will cause nitrate breakthrough for a day and then fall back to zero.
-I didn't fully consider phosphates when I turned the skimmer off because I was so fixated on the nitrates. My Phosphates went to 1.0. I added a GFO reactor, and this quickly solved that issue.

Yes, I've turned the reactor off for a few days to prove that it was the item that was removing the nitrates and not my zeolite filter. I know zeolite is supposed to target more of the ammonia, but I wanted to test anyway. Sure enough, my nitrates went to 10.8 in 3 days. Turned the reactor back on and in a few days, it was back to the 2.0 range.

OK so here are the 4 things I bought for the project below. Bulk reef supply for 3 items and eBay for the other:
reactor.jpg
pump.jpg

adapter.jpg
sulfur 2.jpg

-I used the 1/4 adapters and the slid in perfectly to the inlet and outlets of the reactor and I sealed the connection with epoxy.
-I used 1/4 tubing to make connections to reactor and pump.
-I used 1 liter of sulfur in the reactor. I read somewhere and I can't find the source that a good rule of thumb is 1 liter per 100 gallons of system water volume.
-I started the pump and let it run wide open for 3 days
-After the 3 days i tested the effluent and tank water and they matched at 15 ppm
-I turned it down to 1 drip per second and tested in 3 days. 6 ppm reactor 13ppm tank
-I was happy with this and let it ride for like a week and tested again and it was at 3-8
- Week or so later it was at 0-5
-Bumped up flow rate out of reactor and turned off skimmer.
- Few days later I test and I'm at 0-0. I was happy as hell because I thought this was impossible and then started reading about a zero-nutrient tank (never knew there was such a thing from previous experience) is not good for corals.

Anyways... back to today. Mine has been running for about 3 months, no skimmer, actually dosed nitrates for a bit to get to 2.0ppm and have fine-tuned everything with sulfur reactor flow rate to hold around 2.0. I hope this helps someone and I really hope it works well for anyone that might try it.

Below is a video of my current effluent flow. You'll notice the cheap air regulator that I use to adjust the flow on the outlet. It works very well.

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulphur reactors are awesome. Once dialed in they are great. I keep my out set to 2ppm of nitrates and my tank stays right there. I can raise or lower nitrates by speeding up or slowing down the flow from the reactor. Just be patient let the reactor seed. Dial it in and forget it. I can't believe these are not used more. On my big tank it is a life saver. I still run a skimmer but I did downsize it and I have roller mats. Thai combo has stabilized my entire system so much. Great arrival and glad to see others using this...

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm not hijacking this post..

For the first year I had to dose phosphates and nitrates just to keep them from zeroing out. Then after about a year I started have this problem
My problem has never really been nitrates. I'll have 5ppm nitrates but phosphate will be .25ppm and I can't figure out why and can't figure out a way to get them balanced. Oh and the phosphates are not from feeding I can skip feeding for weeks and it doesn't change the phosphates. Any suggestions? I know this is a denitrator

OP
OP
J

Jb2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm not hijacking this post..

For the first year I had to dose phosphates and nitrates just to keep them from zeroing out. Then after about a year I started have this problem
My problem has never really been nitrates. I'll have 5ppm nitrates but phosphate will be .25ppm and I can't figure out why and can't figure out a way to get them balanced. Oh and the phosphates are not from feeding I can skip feeding for weeks and it doesn't change the phosphates. Any suggestions? I know this is a denitrator
I’ve read articles that specify a certain ratio between Pho and nitrates for them to be consumed by biological means. 100 nitrate to 1 phosphates maybe? Someone correct me if I wrong. I know algae scrubbers won’t work to reduce nitrates if there are no phosphates present. I wondering if it applies the other way around.
I ran into the phosphate problem as well and just started running GFO. Current numbers as of yesterday are 0.03. Are you running and GFO?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back