DIY sump advice

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's for a 55 I'm thinking one sock one over flow double return outlet
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1388644842.562043.jpg

It's gonna be two. Boxes both 14w 16t 9d First box will be all fiktration. Second box is refugium and return.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure one is higher than the other, for gravity feed flow from one to another.

ridgelon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure your outlet hole from the first tank is higher than your second, also make sure the second tank can handle the overflow from your display when you turn your pump off. It will end up filling up to the level of the outlet hole of the first tank if there's enough overflow.

OP
OP
J

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks guys. I'm gonna do a little more design tweaking. I'm wondering though, Will one overflow do it ? Will it fill fast enough to get good flow through the whole set up.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, one 600gph overflow pipe should be fine.

ridgelon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks guys. I'm gonna do a little more design tweaking. I'm wondering though, Will one overflow do it ? Will it fill fast enough to get good flow through the whole set up.

If the bulkhead on the 'exit' from your first tank is larger than the entering tube it should handle it, I go up by 1" just to be extra safe, you might be able to pull it off with 1/2" larger diameter. Larger the hole more flow can go through, all depends on your tank overflow and return pump. For me my return from overflow pipes are 1" larger than my return pump's pipe and I can run it at full blast, it chokes up on the overflow and it's size. I've had to put ball valves to slow it down so the overflow can handle the volume of water. I'd suggest a test run outside with a hose, your pump in an ice chest, sump and some thrown together pvc so you can see what the flow is like. Better to do test runs outside than build it and say "**** I should have done that instead" (personal experience speaking) :)

OP
OP
J

J062682l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I DIY an overflow should I go with a 1&1/2 down to sump. And a 2in between boxes and another 1 in the return ? Would that be ok

ridgelon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right, but I would definitely test it in the backyard first, don't want choke up on you and overflow the main display.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back