DIY Sump Chamber Question

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to convert a sock filtration to an overflox box incorporating biomedia. The flow would come from the drain, pour over into the media basket holder and then drain from the bottom leading to the refuge. I included a picture of my sump with some barbaric drawing to show what im thinking and how possible it is. I'm prety handy and just wondering if anyone else has attempted this. The new chamber would be located on the side wall of the sump and the flow of water would be from left to right and transfer through the bottom of the second champer going to the refug and then leading to the skimmer section.

sump.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to convert a sock filtration to an overflox box incorporating biomedia. The flow would come from the drain, pour over into the media basket holder and then drain from the bottom leading to the refuge. I included a picture of my sump with some barbaric drawing to show what im thinking and how possible it is. I'm prety handy and just wondering if anyone else has attempted this. The new chamber would be located on the side wall of the sump and the flow of water would be from left to right and transfer through the bottom of the second champer going to the refug and then leading to the skimmer section.

sump.jpg
Yes its called a wet/dry filter.
Not too popular anymore as the media becomes a chore to keep free of detritus without breakdown and rinsing.

What kind of media are you planning to use?
And why not just put some in the sump or fill up your filter socks with it?
It will do the same thing in either case.

s-l1000.jpg

OP
OP
Mikey-D

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and good morning. For biomedia im using MP2C-C Biomedia Filter Bag with Media from MarinePure.The reason I want do build a seperate biomedia chamber in the sump becasuse I am going to run my refugium before my skimmer. Yes its the unpopular way to run it but it's becasue im using the Triton method. So I bought this with the intention of converting the side wall into a seperate chamber so the drain chamber would fill up and overflow into the biomedia chamber and that would flow into the fuge chamber from the bottom so as not to cause water disturbance.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back