DIY sump help.

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Need some direction from some seasoned hobbyist.

I have a 65 gallon tank with stand and canopy that I have been running with a hob reef octo 90, aqua clear 110 hob and a fluval 407 canister. It had been good except slightly higher NO3 than I would like but also I am tired of looking at the hardware from HOB filters and the heater. So because of space in the cabinet and budget my sump options are limited to using a 20 high tank.

I purchased a slightly custom 20 high kit , the custom part was getting the water leave to be able keep the water high enough to allow the reed octo to work in the sump. The kit is nice but because of the room needed for the return pump and me using the reef octo it makes it very tight to put a foam block between the water leave and last baffle So I’m choosing to not use the last foam block and just put a prefilter on the pump.

anyway to the question. With main (middle part of the sump) I was considering using the acrylic sheet that would have been the foam block holder as a sort of chamber divider to separate my main matrix media and have a “chamber for cheato or maybe carbon etc..”. I hope the photos attached so what I mean. The red circled area is what I am trying to see Is it worth it to separate 2 different areas for nitrate media and cheato or other.

please help

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can you post some pictures?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back