DIY Trace recipe calculation (please verify)

OP
OP
zachtos

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16612168411186677404136660285312.jpg

Tank is still running this system. I do a few water changes a year as precaution now. You get a feel for it after every ICP test. I've noticed it's mostly fine if you just keep everything above zero, just to not limit growth ot color.

OP
OP
zachtos

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated my google doc. I attempted to make a more simple calculator for everyone to dose any trace element. This system has worked very well for me to date. I think 4+ years now. I just aim to keep the minerals above zero, and try to keep the major elements fairly close to NSW. It doesn't seem to matter much to my corals otherwise. Let me know if there are mistakes, but I think the math is correct. @Randy Holmes-Farley

-note, I've noticed that I usually have to dose quite a bit more than the calculations come out to. I think, maybe some is lost as precipitation or other chemical reactions. Maybe some is also lost in rapid usage by the corals. Such as, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Nickel, Vanadium I struggle to keep above zero, and I just keep increasing the dose (within reason). So it's kind of a improved version of trace element dosing from a bottle, as you have a bit better control. Oh, and it's super super cheap (except for strontium, that's quite expensive, $80/year for my 300g tank).

Last edited:

audioTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Zachtos,
is there any possibility you could put selenium and bromide(sodiumbromide) into your list?
I am trying to make my own "A-" Solutions and thats the two missing for me.
Appreciate your work so far, many thanks !

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Zachtos,
is there any possibility you could put selenium and bromide(sodiumbromide) into your list?
I am trying to make my own "A-" Solutions and thats the two missing for me.
Appreciate your work so far, many thanks !
Bromide can be found here:

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated my google doc. I attempted to make a more simple calculator for everyone to dose any trace element. This system has worked very well for me to date. I think 4+ years now. I just aim to keep the minerals above zero, and try to keep the major elements fairly close to NSW. It doesn't seem to matter much to my corals otherwise. Let me know if there are mistakes, but I think the math is correct. @Randy Holmes-Farley

-note, I've noticed that I usually have to dose quite a bit more than the calculations come out to. I think, maybe some is lost as precipitation or other chemical reactions. Maybe some is also lost in rapid usage by the corals. Such as, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Nickel, Vanadium I struggle to keep above zero, and I just keep increasing the dose (within reason). So it's kind of a improved version of trace element dosing from a bottle, as you have a bit better control. Oh, and it's super super cheap (except for strontium, that's quite expensive, $80/year for my 300g tank).
Great Job with the calculator, been screwing around trying to make one myself but why re-invent the wheel right. I'm trying to balance between a single shot correction vs attempting a variation of the Reef Moonshiner's regiment but using DIY supplements to match his concentrations. RMS also advises Barium, Rubidium and Nickel what's your opinion on those?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Job with the calculator, been screwing around trying to make one myself but why re-invent the wheel right. I'm trying to balance between a single shot correction vs attempting a variation of the Reef Moonshiner's regiment but using DIY supplements to match his concentrations. RMS also advises Barium, Rubidium and Nickel what's your opinion on those?

Barium and rubidium have no known biological roles in any known organism. Thus, if you dose them, I'd do so as an experiment looking for benefits, and stop if you detect none. I personally wouldn't waste my time.

Nickle does have important uses.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barium and rubidium have no known biological roles in any known organism. Thus, if you dose them, I'd do so as an experiment looking for benefits, and stop if you detect none. I personally wouldn't waste my time.

Nickle does have important uses.
@Randy Holmes-Farley Thanks again for the feedback. What source chemical would you suggest I get a Nickel solution from?

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the old calculator I want to confirm adding 7 grams of sodium flouride( I have 99%) to 1000 ml rodi to make a stock solution. 36 ml of that solution will raise flouride .1mg/l on a 300 gallon system. Correct?

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Using the old calculator I want to confirm adding 7 grams of sodium flouride( I have 99%) to 1000 ml rodi to make a stock solution. 36 ml of that solution will raise flouride .1mg/l on a 300 gallon system. Correct?
That looks right to me. I am using the old calculator as well.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back