DIY "wanna be photometer" for color blind (for salifert and other titration test)

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, for who is color blind and understand the pain to not to be able to test on your own the water when you want, i made this cheap and easy to do test reader.

I've tested it against my wife eyes for MG and CA and against a hanna checker for ALK and it does work without problem and also repeating the test many times one after the other the results are always in line.

Just need a 4010 fan a cheap usb camera, a 3d printed case and a mobile phone. After different try i've found the the phone as background with "White screen" app and max luminosity works best as the light is bright and even.

PC side i have a "webcam setting" softweare that give you the ability to lock exposure and white balance so that image is not infuenced and color grab utility from powertoys.

I have addded a small fan with magnet to make a mini magnetic stirrer so that the process is way easier and faster.

You will need one person first time to help you set the correct colours. in order to have a base point to control against. and then is happy days :D

STL are available for free, if you in france or italy i can print you one for free if u are color blind (just pay shipping).

IMG_20230626_101336.jpg
IMG_20230626_102552.jpg Immagine 2023-06-26 102517.png Immagine 2023-06-26 102236.png

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is neat, but why not use something designed for the purpose?

https://a.co/d/b38TanP
sincerely, because i'm not yet capable of using it. I am looking into it since a while. I could re-adapt a project made as a "color grabber" but i would not know how to interface it with the PC. There is a guy making something similar but much more advanced in the forum and is using a rgb sensor. I will see how it evolve and if i can ditch part of his project to adapt it. For the time bneing, this work just as my wife eyes for me :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back