dkh help

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days ago my dkh was 6.9 and now it is 7.6 because I added in the last three days all for reef 10 ml every day. My questions are like this Is a change in dkh at this speed dangerous for corals? What level am I supposed to reach? And when should I stop? My 270 liter aquarium aims for softness and lps and I have my hand on the pulse in terms of testing. I have tests of phosphate and dkh of Hannah, calcium and magnesium of salifert and nitrate and nitrite of tropic marin

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that should be fine. If we're talking about single digit climbs in a day - that's typically more stressful. Alkalinity levels are really personal preference, and anything between 7-11dKH is considered an optimal range. I aim for 8.25-8.5dKH myself as this gives me a bit of 'wiggle room' for my parameters to increase or decreases without falling out of the desirable range.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed tank with a lot of bounce shrooms and in my tank they like the dkh of around 8.5 ish/// never mind black sun beat me to it ! ............ what he said

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days ago my dkh was 6.9 and now it is 7.6 because I added in the last three days all for reef 10 ml every day. My questions are like this Is a change in dkh at this speed dangerous for corals? What level am I supposed to reach? And when should I stop? My 270 liter aquarium aims for softness and lps and I have my hand on the pulse in terms of testing. I have tests of phosphate and dkh of Hannah, calcium and magnesium of salifert and nitrate and nitrite of tropic marin
It’s not too big a jump over three days. I would test every day for the next week (dose in the morning and test in the evening, try to do it at the same time each day). And depending on how much it changes, you may need to adjust the dosage slightly. I would aim for 8-8.5dkh. Based off just these two tests, it looks like 10ml is raising your dkh by around 0.23 per day. Keep testing to see if that is accurate, and if so maybe drop it down to 8ml and see if it stabilizes. Do you have a decent amount of LPS or stony corals that would be consuming enough alk that dosing is necessary?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to big, but slow your dosing g down, maybe by half. Once you reach your targeted goal, then cut it in half again, test every day, and adjust to where it remains stable.

Side not all for reef takes 24-36hrs to reach its full dose level once its added.

Example,dkh measures 8.0, if you dose 10ml and test 1hr later and retest dkh measures 8.2. 24-36hrs later it can continue to raise up to 8.3,8.5,9.0, ect. Therefore it takes a bit more testing then some other options.

A great benefit to this slow increase is less stress to corals.

Back