Do blood shrimp eat frogspawns?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today i woke up and saw that my frogspawn was missing a head, i see around the tank and theres tiny pieces of it. It looks as if something was just ripping it apart. The only suspects is the 2 blood shrimp from what i see any ideas?

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it looked in the morning

20200604_181259.jpg 20200604_181304.jpg 20200604_183347.jpg

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has never touched a coral apart from stealing food from acans. It lives in a cave directly next to a hammer coral and it has never shown any interest. I've always heard they are reef safe although it is possible you have a couple of rouge shrimp.
Is there anything else in your tank that could eat them. A few things seem to like euphyllia because they are so fleshy

adromero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of them eating coral. Mine sometimes hang out on corals looking for loose food but I never witnessed it eating coral.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never harms any coral, or anything else for that matter. Crawl on and steal food from coral? Yes. But never picks at the corals.

What other livestock do you have in the tank? And can you post a less blue picture? Just want a clearer look at the frogspawn.

Have you considered it could be polyp bailout?
What are your parameters like?

And of course, the one we all dread, had you noticed any brown jelly lile like substance on the frogspawn?

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hasn't picked at any coral including hammers or torches, it could be an individual to individual thing, is your shrimp getting much food if they are not hey are more likely to go after corals.
Yea i usually feed them everyday when i feed my fish i give them a piece i also add some pellets on the sand so they and the snails can eat something aswell. Apart from that i only have like two small hermit crabs, one eye kole tang, 2 wrasses and 1 clown.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never harms any coral, or anything else for that matter. Crawl on and steal food from coral? Yes. But never picks at the corals.

What other livestock do you have in the tank? And can you post a less blue picture? Just want a clearer look at the frogspawn.

Have you considered it could be polyp bailout?
What are your parameters like?

And of course, the one we all dread, had you noticed any brown jelly lile like substance on the frogspawn?
Well ive only had it in my tank for 3 days and was very happy and puffy for the first 2 days then today i woke up and just saw some pieces that looked ripped off even saw some chunks floating on some parts of the sand. My stocking list is one kole tang, a splendid wrasse, Yellow coris wrasse and 1 clown. The rest are just some snails and two small hermit crabs and an urchin. I will post a more clear picture in a few.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is with lights a little more white.

20200604_202018.jpg 20200604_202023.jpg

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the more i look at it now makes me think it might just be brown jelly disease? I saw the head today and its covered in some brown stuff.
20200605_174625.jpg

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this for you

A pic in less blue focusing on the brown stuff would be a big help.

That said,brown jelly disease normally kills superfast and spreads even faster. So if it is bjd, it is being quite slow. And if it is, then you would want to cutoff the infected head and trash it, dip the one that hasn't shown signs of bjd, and simultaneously do a major water change (like 75- 80%, or more if possible) in your tank to get as much of the possibly tainted water out as possible. And run carbon.

All that said, even if it is BJD it could always be some other infection. Or just something about the parameters that the coral didn't take to.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this for you

A pic in less blue focusing on the brown stuff would be a big help.

That said,brown jelly disease normally kills superfast and spreads even faster. So if it is bjd, it is being quite slow. And if it is, then you would want to cutoff the infected head and trash it, dip the one that hasn't shown signs of bjd, and simultaneously do a major water change (like 75- 80%, or more if possible) in your tank to get as much of the possibly tainted water out as possible. And run carbon.

All that said, even if it is BJD it could always be some other infection. Or just something about the parameters that the coral didn't take to.
Yea i found out it infact was BJD i have removed the frag dipped it in peroxide, and it smelled absolutely disgusting!!, i turkey basted the bad part and then dipped it in furan. I put it back in the tank with the bone bare but idk how to remove that piece without hurting the other since they still kinda together. What do you suggest? It killed that head in 24 hours which is why i thought it was thw shrimp, i didnt know bjd kills that fast. Also i dont think i can do a water change since im currently dealing with dinos and even when ive done %10 water changes they come back hard in the next few days. This hobby is getting so frustrating.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my bicolor hammer got infected with BJD, i cut off the infected head. You can use tools like bone cutters or plier cutters. I used what i had available, which was a plier cutter.

The problem with yours, I can't tell where one head starts and the other ends. I hope it isn't a wall type frogspawn. I have no experience trying to frag those. If it is branching type though, you can cut it off where the infected head branches off of the main body.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my bicolor hammer got infected with BJD, i cut off the infected head. You can use tools like bone cutters or plier cutters. I used what i had available, which was a plier cutter.

The problem with yours, I can't tell where one head starts and the other ends. I hope it isn't a wall type frogspawn. I have no experience trying to frag those. If it is branching type though, you can cut it off where the infected head branches off of the main body.
Yea its a branching type but it seems to have started splitting when i received it so its still kind of together.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any experience with Brown Jelly Disease, but I can assure you some shrimp develop a taste for Frog Spawn including Blood Shrimp. I have witnessed it first hand in my own reef years ago. Not all Blood Shrimp in fact do eat Frog Spawn and I would say that most do not, but I wouldn't eliminate the shrimp as a suspect just yet.

Back