Do candy canes often leave their frag plugs ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Idech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2021
Messages
4,808
Reaction score
4,027
Location
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought my candy cane was dead, the skeleton was dry on the frag plug. This morning I saw the 2 candy cane heads in the opposite corner of the aquarium, on the sand bed. They don’t look dead at all.

Is this a thing ?

87B0004C-A459-4305-8D6B-EB9CAA228801.jpeg
 
This appears to be an instance of polyp bailout. It surviving for the moment, but will ultimately die. You will have to find the root cause of the bailout. Could be parameters or something was bothering it.
 
This appears to be an instance of polyp bailout. It surviving for the moment, but will ultimately die. You will have to find the root cause of the bailout. Could be parameters or something was bothering it.

Oh that’s too bad ! I knew it wasn’t happy. There is something going on in my tank and I can’t figure out what it is.

I have slight dinos (I’ll be dosing silicates as soon as I get my order) and hadn’t done a water change in about 8 weeks. Yesterday I changed 25 gallons.

Alkalinity is hard to keep stable and fluctuates between 9,0 and 10. I started dosing less AFR to help.

Magnesium depletes even with AFR so I started dosing weekly instead of once randomly when it dropped to much.

Other than that, my parameters were, before the water change :

temp : 78 F
salinity : 1,0255
Phosphates : 0,08 ppm
Nitrates : 9,9 ppm
alk : 9,8 ppm
Mag : 1320
calcium : 430

I’ll test today to see how everything is after my big water change.
 
They can live after polyp bailout it is just rare because some condition was not good for them anyway usually.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new