Do Chinese Black Box LEDs Work? (Viparspectra)

2CC's

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny actually, I've seen several coral shops with expensive lighting in the showroom but then black boxes in the back on grow out tanks.
Just like my setup - Kessil's on the display and a black box over the inline frag tank in the closet - both are growing more or less the same corals just fine :)

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all....

I think I’ve made my final decision. I will most likely be going with the AI Hydra 52 HDs, specifically 3 of them. They are cheaper than the XR30Ws and you don’t have to buy a ReefLink for them. Doesn’t hurt that they’re 200-300$ cheaper or so. These lights though still by far more expensive than the black boxes, I think I have my winner!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I like most about black boxes is how easy they are to repair. I've replaced fans, leds, and drivers. These components are easily replaced with a little soldering or splicing a few wires.

Modding them is easy as well. Diodes are almost plug and play. Cheap too.

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 of the Viparspectra 165w above my 125 for a few months. One of them stopped following the timer, so for now I have to manually turn them on and off. Any ideas?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-pi. DIY controller probably cost $80 to set up. Expandable to temp control, ATO, dosing pumps and control all to be had for under $400.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 of the Viparspectra 165w above my 125 for a few months. One of them stopped following the timer, so for now I have to manually turn them on and off. Any ideas?

The sounds cliche, but have you unplugged them for a minute or two and tried again?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yes

All is not lost if the timer is bad, at least you can use a manual timer for now. It's not going to control the blues and white channels, but will turn it on and off. Till you can figure out what's wrong.

GroYurOwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this thread for actual proof that as far as spectrum and intensity the Viparspectra stand head to head with all of the super “premium” lights.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-real-black-box-light-study.503052/

As for warranty support, I recently bought some used Viparspectra 165s and didn’t get the remote or manual. Emailed the mfr and literally within minutes got a response. Was told a new remote would be $5, also they attached a well-written pdf manual. I sent PayPal payment and the new remote was in my mailbox in two days. On my previous tank, about 6 years ago, when CBBs were really getting begged on dropped a light in water and fried a ballast, emailed mfr and got a response with 24 hours and a new ballast within the week for a very fair price, different company.

I also have experience with Mars, on the plant grow light side of things, same situation, quick responses and friendly service. I even worked out a deal where I translated their grow light page better for them and they cut me a break on some grow lights.

Some people find comfort in knowing they spent top dollar for the most expensive kit, if that’s you go with Radeon. If you appreciate a solid piece of equipment at a fair price but no flashy brand name... CBB is the way to go. IMHO, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with them- they just don't last long AND . . . best of luck getting warranty service if needed.
You'll have to hire this gal to make a firm call to China!!!

Not sure where you get that they don't last long. My BBs have been running for 6 years and are still going strong. Of all the local guys that use BBs, only one has had a failure and that was after 3 or 4 years.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d spend just a little bit more and go with SB reef lights. They are basically upgraded black boxes. I’m pretty happy with mine. I’ve had a lot of other black boxes as well and the SB reefs are worth the little extra.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a single mars Aqua on my first 29g tank and didn't really feel like it was working well. That being said I could have been doing a bunch of other things wrong at the same time. I kept having really bad bacteria blooms when the light would come on for instance. I did have some Apollo COB LED boxes I bought for plant growing and they didn't seem to work well either so I switched back to T5s. It may very well be just need to spend the $2-4k on good lighting products but its way outside my budget. A local guy found me a cheap deal on a used dual DE MH/VHO fixture and I going to give it a try and hope it will work better for my 40B build.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not sure where you get that they don't last long. My BBs have been running for 6 years and are still going strong. Of all the local guys that use BBs, only one has had a failure and that was after 3 or 4 years.
Not saying all are bad but have seen many fail prematurely or not produce the spectrum for many coral. Taking brands like tao and similar, these get hot and burn out diodes in no time. Mars, sb reef and others do well but rarely backed by less than 90 coverage and a customer service portal

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked my Mars Aqua so I bought two more when I set up a 180 with softies. But now a year later I have to run the original at 100% to keep up the same Par level as the two newer ones run at 50%. If those two drop I am done with cheap black boxes. My oldest build my led is seven years old and still working great.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a Radion and got rid of it and replaced it with noopsyche k7 pro II.
I only ran a radion because I got a good deal on a used one when i setup the 35g. Honestly I would never use them again as I have owned them twice and both times I feel like they are not worth the price at all. If i can help people steer clear of them I will. Ecotech is just a name and other than the fancy programming that they still force you to login so they can track your data they offer really nothing more in terms of coral health and growth over a black box light. I run 2 of the noopsyche lights on my 40breeder now and getting same par out of them and actually my corals seem to like these lights better as they have colored up better and better polyp extension since I have added them. This reflects my same experience few years ago with a G3 radion switching to Kessil 350 lights. The radion corals always looked meh. Once changed to kessil everything looked much better rapidly.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Viparspectra over my tank
20190301_144205.jpeg
20190301_144243.jpeg
20190301_144229.jpeg

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black boxes are some of the most powerful, exciting,and inexpensive developments to happen to this hobby. Some are trash most do work . Mine can produce 45000-50000 lux ( no par meter) . I did supplement with T5 bulbs .
Black boxes can produce shimmer and color pop that traditional lights don’t (easily) . I think led works . And grows everything just fine. But LEDS combined with t5,or metal halide is just awesome.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 65 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back