Do Chinese Black Box LEDs Work? (Viparspectra)

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am wondering if 2 of the 300W models will be enough to grow softies, LPS, and some of the easier SPS such as hydnophora, montipora, and maybe pocillopora or stylophora. Not really too into acropora but may try later down the road.

My guy from the LFS says that he would never recommend black boxes, and says on a tank my size (180 gallons) he’d recommend something like Radion XR30s (3 of them). I trust his advice, however, I am curious to if there are any other thoughts on his opinion?

Another concern is automation. Radions are obviously very automatic and come with much more features than a standard black box. Once I move to college in 4 years, that will be a big concern with my parents. However, Radions will take a good 6 months to save up for IF I’m lucky. Which one would you guys recommend? Also, is my LFS telling the truth?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many success stories with Chinese Black Boxes. I'm currently running three over a five foot 90 gallon DT....maybe for about seven years. I can't complain....better than the yearly 130 dollar T5 bulb replacement costs!

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work, may not be the best option, but they work. If you can save uo for 3 radions in 6 months, id do that as youll have better success with them and they will give you room to grow. The cost is worth it in my eyes, and if you can manage it then do it. Take time and set your tank up properly while you save, let it cycle for a good month or 2 with no lights.

catfishblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two over a 4 foot 120 and could grow acros decently. I've seen lots use them successfully and they're about seven times less the cost. Obviously radions are better but I would think maybe 4 over your tank would grow all those things well.
It's also good to note that while light is important, people can grow sps in lower par ratings with good flow and good, stable parameters.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work, may not be the best option, but they work. If you can save uo for 3 radions in 6 months, id do that as youll have better success with them and they will give you room to grow. The cost is worth it in my eyes, and if you can manage it then do it. Take time and set your tank up properly while you save, let it cycle for a good month or 2 with no lights.

That's $380 vs $2400

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am wondering if 2 of the 300W models will be enough to grow softies, LPS, and some of the easier SPS such as hydnophora, montipora, and maybe pocillopora or stylophora. Not really too into acropora but may try later down the road.

My guy from the LFS says that he would never recommend black boxes, and says on a tank my size (180 gallons) he’d recommend something like Radion XR30s (3 of them). I trust his advice, however, I am curious to if there are any other thoughts on his opinion?

Another concern is automation. Radions are obviously very automatic and come with much more features than a standard black box. Once I move to college in 4 years, that will be a big concern with my parents. However, Radions will take a good 6 months to save up for IF I’m lucky. Which one would you guys recommend? Also, is my LFS telling the truth?
The Mars 300W are great lights, and very budget friendly for starting out. They'll grow anything!

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's $380 vs $2400
Ok, id still take radions over the black boxes.
Warranty, UL certified, better spectrum and intensity, controllability and room for growth. Add a reeflink and vortech pumps... May be alot of money but the results are proven. Ive only seen 1 black box lit tank that is "show" worthy. I went from T5s to black boxes, growth slowed right down, now i have kessel and T5s, growth and color are 100x better.

Every one has a preference, he asked for opinions, i gave mine. Mine just happens to cost more.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a popular misconception that more expensive lighting will grow coral better. That's just not the case.

As long as the proper spectrum is delivered at the proper intensity, they will grow coral.

I really don't want to see this thread end up as a heated debate over lighting. This has been done at nauseam for years now and doesn't do anyone any good.

Please keep our comments civil and respectful.

To @AbnormalReefer, yes they are more than capable of growing all the corals you mentioned.

1F5CAED0-4CAD-4D30-BB2E-56877361A7A8.jpeg

BA3CB9B1-5646-46B4-8006-BBA8058DF83B.jpeg

I use modded Mars Aquas. I'm happy with them.

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a popular misconception that more expensive lighting will grow coral better. That's just not the case.

As long as the proper spectrum is delivered at the proper intensity, they will grow coral.

I really don't want to see this thread end up as a heated debate over lighting. This has been done at nauseam for years now and doesn't do anyone any good.

Please keep our comments civil and respectful.

To @AbnormalReefer, yes they are more than capable of growing all the corals you mentioned.

1F5CAED0-4CAD-4D30-BB2E-56877361A7A8.jpeg

BA3CB9B1-5646-46B4-8006-BBA8058DF83B.jpeg

I use modded Mars Aquas. I'm happy with them.
After seeing your tank, i take back my statement about 1 show worthy tank and make that 2.
I completely agree with what you say. It is possible , but alot harder with there limited controlability compared to the radions.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, id still take radions over the black boxes.
Warranty, UL certified, better spectrum and intensity, controllability and room for growth. Add a reeflink and vortech pumps... May be alot of money but the results are proven. Ive only seen 1 black box lit tank that is "show" worthy. I went from T5s to black boxes, growth slowed right down, now i have kessel and T5s, growth and color are 100x better.

Every one has a preference, he asked for opinions, i gave mine. Mine just happens to cost more.
Viparspectra is one of the few black boxes with UL ballasts.

However I'm not going to sit here and argue with someone over it you like radeons, no problem, but make sure we answer OP question...not redirect onto the overpriced Radeon.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing your tank, i take back my statement about 1 show worthy tank and make that 2.

Believe me I was skeptical about them too when I first got them.

There is much more than lighting to a reef tank. Need I say more?

Stability, water pramameters, flow......
You get the picture. :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black boxes work great IMO. They may lack in features on some of the lower cost models, but if you want a light that can grow coral, they are absolutely worth it. And @Flippers4pups I always get envious when I see that cap monti ;Woot;Woot

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viparspectra is one of the few black boxes with UL ballasts.

However I'm not going to sit here and argue with someone over it you like radeons, no problem, but make sure we answer OP question...not redirect onto the overpriced Radeon.
If you read OP original post, he was asking if the radions are worth it over the black boxes, so no way i was redirecting him to radions.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black boxes work great IMO. They may lack in features on some of the lower cost models, but if you want a light that can grow coral, they are absolutely worth it. And @Flippers4pups I always get envious when I see that cap monti ;Woot;Woot

She a beauty, isn't she?! Thanks Zach.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP is probably no more than 15 years old. It is crazy to suggest that he spend $2400 on lighting. Go with the black boxes.

Personal choice, nothing wrong with either choice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back