Do Corals Need a Night Period?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
6,864
Reaction score
6,574
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would having a longer/constant photoperiod increase the amount of growth in corals or would having too little nighttime negatively impact corals? I always see people talking about this subject in regards to algae growth but not corals. Anyone have any idea? I know there is a lot of research published about this subject in plant models but corals and plants are pretty different so I don't know if you could carry over the data.
 
Last edited:
I've read that corals do most of their growing at night. During the day, they're putting energy more into metabolizing.
There was a paper published showing that corals can only photosynthesize for four hours at a time. After that, sunlight is not beneficial. Using this data, the researchers came up with optimal growth utilizing two photo periods in 24 hours (4 hours light, 8 hours dark x2). Granted the experiment was done with 400w MH lighting. So, less intense lighting may produce different results.
 
I've read that corals do most of their growing at night. During the day, they're putting energy more into metabolizing.
There was a paper published showing that corals can only photosynthesize for four hours at a time. After that, sunlight is not beneficial. Using this data, the researchers came up with optimal growth utilizing two photo periods in 24 hours (4 hours light, 8 hours dark x2). Granted the experiment was done with 400w MH lighting. So, less intense lighting may produce different results.

Interesting. Do you know, did they yield more growth using that lighting schedule? Have a link to the article? Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new