Do dehumidifiers affect pH?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 3 tanks in my small apartment i think i should get a dehumidifier...the tile floor is always slick with moisture and the 3 open top tanks' evaporation is only exacerbated by the tropical climate i live in...i was just curious, will drier air affect pH at all?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would impact co2...at least in any direct way. However indirectly moisture could do things like cause mold....which produces co2.....so at least in theory it could impact it that way but I think things would have to get pretty extreme for that scenario.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would impact co2...at least in any direct way. However indirectly moisture could do things like cause mold....which produces co2.....so at least in theory it could impact it that way but I think things would have to get pretty extreme for that scenario.
That makes sense...it's just way too humid in this little apartment even with the A/C running...i was just curious is the moisture content of the air might affect the pH in any way

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In tropical climate, I'd get air conditioning instead of a dehumidifier. On a basic level it's the same technology with similar-is power consumption, only that one pumps the resulting heat outside while the other pumps it into your room.

Unless you feel cold in your tropical climate

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In tropical climate, I'd get air conditioning instead of a dehumidifier. On a basic level it's the same technology with similar-is power consumption, only that one pumps the resulting heat outside while the other pumps it into your room.

Unless you feel cold in your tropical climate
Well i do have air conditioning and run it a good bit but still have high humidity in my apartment...the A/C just isn't doing enough...does it really use the same amount of electricity though? Didn't know that.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was running a fish room and my evaporation was too much and had to put lids on everything. Problem solved and top off water was reduced immensely. If possible, consider that as it's cheaper and would reduce use of RODI.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i do have air conditioning and run it a good bit but still have high humidity in my apartment...the A/C just isn't doing enough...does it really use the same amount of electricity though? Didn't know that.
Then I would get a better ac rather than a dehumidifier. It'd be like plugging in an electric heater...

Dehumidifier have a compressor loop just like an ac, they just dump the hot air straight back into your room because keeping temperature is not their job so they don't need the expensive dump the heat outside part.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an a/c and dehumidifier, it's the only way to go in Florida, otherwise I'm in the same boat.

A dehumidifier could effect ph if using kalkwasser because you may be able to dose more by forcing more evaporation.

I shoot for 50% or less humidity in the house, its better for your house and items inside, plus the devices running you tanks could possibly last longer and rust less. :)

A dehumidifier is a good choice but puts off some heat, another reason I use a small room a/c.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not really an option though since I'd have to take that up with the landlord who wouldnt even change my lock when I thought my key was stolen...what you're saying makes perfect sense but simply not an option in my situation
Then I would get a better ac rather than a dehumidifier. It'd be like plugging in an electric heater...

Dehumidifier have a compressor loop just like an ac, they just dump the hot air straight back into your room because keeping temperature is not their job so they don't need the expensive dump the heat outside part.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was running a fish room and my evaporation was too much and had to put lids on everything. Problem solved and top off water was reduced immensely. If possible, consider that as it's cheaper and would reduce use of RODI.
Sounds like a good solution and I'll look for lids but not sure where I'd find them here without having them custom made...also one of my tanks doesn't have a skimmer as it's a nano so wouldn't that lower pH since less air would reach the water?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look into big dessicant dehumidifiers, those don't heat your room except when you recharge them once every now and then by baking the stuff, but no idea how effective they are in tropical climate

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good solution and I'll look for lids but not sure where I'd find them here without having them custom made...also one of my tanks doesn't have a skimmer as it's a nano so wouldn't that lower pH since less air would reach the water?
Already have the screen tops therefore all that's needed are inserts to lay on top of the screen section. Key is finding plastic sheets that allow the lights to get through without blocking any necessary waves.

Don't recall exactly what I used but something like what light manufacturers use on their LED. Home Depot sells plastic panels for green houses which is what I ended up using but wasn't concerned with blocking UV. I'd ask in the lighting forum for recommendations. Might be more costly than the Home Depot solution but cheaper than running a dehumidifier, cost of that electricity plus cost of additional AC electricity to combat the heat produced. Every solution brings it's own problems. Just a matter of working out the details for the lesser evil.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a pretty small apartment and a small dehumidifier I'm looking at with a 1 month return policy, i think I'll at least try it out...it's small enough that i doubt it'll cause significant heat but we'll find out. I just need to finally do something about this constant high humidity. I'll try it for a week or so and if that fails, I'll try something else. I don't mind having a fan blow on me to cool me down a little, i actually keep one on 24/7 for air circulation.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back