Do firefish hide

JBS92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on vacation for 5 days and had someone feeding my tank for me while I was gone. I got back and thought something seemed off when it hit me that my firefish, Logi, is no where to be seen.

I’ve checked the normal places I see him in the tank but can’t seem to find him.

if they do hide is it for long periods? If it’s the worst case scenario how would I go about finding his body?

Also in case it helps there is a Mai tai clown, a 6 line wrasse, and a lawnmower goby in the tank

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on vacation for 5 days and had someone feeding my tank for me while I was gone. I got back and thought something seemed off when it hit me that my firefish, Logi, is no where to be seen.

I’ve checked the normal places I see him in the tank but can’t seem to find him.

if they do hide is it for long periods? If it’s the worst case scenario how would I go about finding his body
My firefish hides like crazy. He's very shy. Have you tried observing your tank from afar?

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have. That’s actually how I noticed. I didn’t see him swimming in his usual area. He’s not much of a hider
I would go through a feeding cycle or two before I raise the alarms. But even then two might be cutting it if it's the worst case scenario.

Feeding is usually when my firefish doesn't care about his timidity and starts darting all over the place. If this isn't the case then I would start getting my hands in there and inspecting the rock.

Did the person who fed your tank see the firefish at all?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Agreed, they can be cryptic for a bit :) mine hide in holes within the liverock. It's hard to see them lol

OP
OP
J

JBS92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go through a feeding cycle or two before I raise the alarms. But even then two might be cutting it if it's the worst case scenario.

Feeding is usually when my firefish doesn't care about his timidity and starts darting all over the place. If this isn't the case then I would start getting my hands in there and inspecting the rock.

She said she doesn’t remember see

she doesn’t remember seeing it but she isn’t sure.

OP
OP
J

JBS92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, they can be cryptic for a bit :) mine hide in holes within the liverock. It's hard to see them lo
Def can go cryptic, but also a jumper and small enough to go through aquarium tops and be behind your tank ☠️
In the 6 months I’ve had the firefish it hasn’t really hidden other than when he sleeps once the lights go off.

I also made sure to check around the aquarium and behind it. I didn’t see nor smell it

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They are absolute jumpers as stated. Is there a lid, my apologies if I missed that

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Best of luck! We're all rooting for you :)

OP
OP
J

JBS92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a little worried and pulled the rocks out to see if it was hiding under them and he wasn’t under any of them or in a cave.

I guess my next move would be to sift through the sand?

Also there’s no way that if he died my three other fish, clownfish, 6 line wrasse, and lawnmower blenny, would eat it right?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back