Do fish hold grudges?

RoyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse after QT to my display tank. Initially the Blue/Green chromis chased it around for 2 days, then the rolls reversed and the flasher wrasse is now chasing the chromis every time it sees it. It ignores all the other fish in the tank. I thought this was meant to be a peaceful wrasse, so is it holding a grudge for it's treatment when first introduced. Is this even a Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse? Is it a juvenile that will settle down with age, or will I have to remove one or the other of them?

20200516_120930.jpg 20200516_120137.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really gauge the hierarchy when fish are first added. Once the new fish is comfortable, then you'll see the true pecking order.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this even a Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse? Is it a juvenile that will settle down with age, or will I have to remove one or the other of them?
No, this is Cirrhilabrus filamentosus - the most aggressive species of Cirrhilabrus - not a peaceful species by any means. It won't get better, but rather worse with age, I'm afraid.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are the pretty ones always naughty?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't anthropomorphize your fish LOL. Aggression is mostly a function of hierarchical dominance, which is why intra-species issues are most common, followed by similar body shape, color, etc. But, a dominant fish can pick on just about any other fish given the right circumstances. You may be able to 'reset' the dominance relationship by removing the aggressor for a while - I did this with a purple tang that was attacking a new gem. Grudges have nothing to do with it.

OP
OP
RoyC

RoyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't anthropomorphize your fish LOL. Aggression is mostly a function of hierarchical dominance, which is why intra-species issues are most common, followed by similar body shape, color, etc. But, a dominant fish can pick on just about any other fish given the right circumstances. You may be able to 'reset' the dominance relationship by removing the aggressor for a while - I did this with a purple tang that was attacking a new gem. Grudges have nothing to do with it.
Thanks, I might just try this if I can catch him.

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some animals do seem to hold grudges, but I have no clue if any fish can/do...fish are a lot more intelligent that they are often given credit, though (manta rays and cleaner wrasses, for example, can both recognize themselves in a mirror, strongly implying that they are self aware to some extent and thus more intelligent than many mammals and birds). Also, many fish species have been recording refusing to spawn with another fish of the opposite gender even though conditions are seemingly perfect, evidently because their temperaments were not compatible (this is why many freshwater fish - especially cichlids, which are infamous for this - are purchased in groups and allowed to 'pair off' rather than just being shoehorned with a random member of the opposite gender).

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to 'reset' the dominance relationship by removing the aggressor for a while
That's not likely to work in this case - it's really hard to "unflip" the switch with a wrasse, unlike some tangs.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not likely to work in this case - it's really hard to "unflip" the switch with a wrasse, unlike some tangs.

Thus the use of the word 'may' :) …..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back