Do I give up?

LDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a salt water aquarium through the 80's and decided to see what was new with growing coral, etc.

I bought a new Coralife 32 biocube with a in tank UV, Skimmer, upgraded pump, a wave maker, live coral rock, CaribSea sand, better heater, RedSea Test kits and Red Sea marine starter kit. It took about 6 weeks to go through cycling. I started adding clean jun crew invertebrates. Started out with a clown fish. Everything went fine for the first couple of weeks. I added a sand sifting goby who died with a week Didn't eat. Added second clown fish after a couple of weeks and a Zoa frag. Another Goby. Hair algae took over. I started using Vibrant for the algae, once a week. I pulled a bunch of that algae off, got more hermit crabs, a turbo snail, a conch and two emerald crabs over the space of several months.

One clown came down with I though Ich, but I thought my UV sterilizer would take care of it. I did a fresh water dip, he seemed to recover, I started PraziPro, turned off the UV, off the skimmer, took charcoal out. And ran the Prazi for several weeks. Within the two weeks the one clown got worst and finally succumbed, Within two days after the second clown was covered in white and died. At this point I had lost 5 or 6 fish and very frustrated. I tried to decide whether jut to give up or start over from scratch.

I contacted a new fish store and they suggested, I let the tank sit for two weeks, with no Prazi, turned back on the UV, and skimmer. I readded new charcoal and let the tank sit for two weeks. Then per the store reran Prazi with charcoal removed and turned off the UV and skimmer. At this time I had one firefish, a cleaner shrimp, an emerald crab and my clean up crew.
After two more weeks of Prazi, I went back to everything back on, new charcoal, and went to the new fish store after a month, who guaranteed that everything had been quarantined for a month and bought a new fire fish, a striped wrasse and lawn mower Blennie. Added a mushroom frag. In one week since adding that the emerald crab has died, , my conch has disappeared into the sand, the wrasse went yesterday after seven days, he had a white discoloration on his side like dead skin. And then part of one fin was gone. Today the Bennie is gasping on the bottom and then mid day the new fire fish, went into hiding and is now gasping.

I tried to buy the best equipment. Followed the cycling to a 'T'. Thought the first store was reliable from plenty of recommends. Switched to the new store and now I've killed about 10 fish, feeling very guilty and I am left with one original fire fish and a cleaner shrimp and a couple of frags.

Do I start all over or just say lesson learned and quite killing marine life?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a salt water aquarium through the 80's and decided to see what was new with growing coral, etc.

I bought a new Coralife 32 biocube with a in tank UV, Skimmer, upgraded pump, a wave maker, live coral rock, CaribSea sand, better heater, RedSea Test kits and Red Sea marine starter kit. It took about 6 weeks to go through cycling. I started adding clean jun crew invertebrates. Started out with a clown fish. Everything went fine for the first couple of weeks. I added a sand sifting goby who died with a week Didn't eat. Added second clown fish after a couple of weeks and a Zoa frag. Another Goby. Hair algae took over. I started using Vibrant for the algae, once a week. I pulled a bunch of that algae off, got more hermit crabs, a turbo snail, a conch and two emerald crabs over the space of several months.

One clown came down with I though Ich, but I thought my UV sterilizer would take care of it. I did a fresh water dip, he seemed to recover, I started PraziPro, turned off the UV, off the skimmer, took charcoal out. And ran the Prazi for several weeks. Within the two weeks the one clown got worst and finally succumbed, Within two days after the second clown was covered in white and died. At this point I had lost 5 or 6 fish and very frustrated. I tried to decide whether jut to give up or start over from scratch.

I contacted a new fish store and they suggested, I let the tank sit for two weeks, with no Prazi, turned back on the UV, and skimmer. I readded new charcoal and let the tank sit for two weeks. Then per the store reran Prazi with charcoal removed and turned off the UV and skimmer. At this time I had one firefish, a cleaner shrimp, an emerald crab and my clean up crew.
After two more weeks of Prazi, I went back to everything back on, new charcoal, and went to the new fish store after a month, who guaranteed that everything had been quarantined for a month and bought a new fire fish, a striped wrasse and lawn mower Blennie. Added a mushroom frag. In one week since adding that the emerald crab has died, , my conch has disappeared into the sand, the wrasse went yesterday after seven days, he had a white discoloration on his side like dead skin. And then part of one fin was gone. Today the Bennie is gasping on the bottom and then mid day the new fire fish, went into hiding and is now gasping.

I tried to buy the best equipment. Followed the cycling to a 'T'. Thought the first store was reliable from plenty of recommends. Switched to the new store and now I've killed about 10 fish, feeling very guilty and I am left with one original fire fish and a cleaner shrimp and a couple of frags.

Do I start all over or just say lesson learned and quite killing marine life?
Lesson learned for sure . But perhaps time to research a little more .
Water source ?
Are you mixing your own saltwater ?

this hobby comes with many ups and downs .
the best way is to figure out what went wrong and learn from it .

Happy reefing .
Slow and steady wins the race

OP
OP
L

LDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a brand new rodi unit that i bought. Mixing my own salt with Instant Ocean. I never had this much trouble or bad luck 30 years ago. Very frustrating! Fish store said today maybe my PH is dropping at night, trying to figure out why my original fire fish is acting fine. Also they want me to run FLUX RX to get my green algae back under control. Your thoughts?

OP
OP
L

LDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on why the 3 new fish seemed great the first 6-7 days, eating good and then within 24 hrs. are going down hill FAST? What could cause this?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'd say it sounds more like you should read up on the "Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis" forum here on Reef2Reef rather than give up, as it sounds like dealing with different sicknesses is your primary issue. Specifically, I'd recommend looking at quarantine and observation protocols, fallow periods, and preventing/dealing with ich and other common issues. While a lot of people have some good advice on dealing with these things, I'd highly recommend looking for stuff posted by the Fish Medics (particularly the stuff by Jay Hemdal) - you can know who the others are by looking at the Fish Medic sticky at the top of the forum or by looking for the "Fish Medic" badge under their name when they post.

Personally, I'd say currently that dealing with the disease in the tank in a bigger issue than any algae (and if the algae gets too out of hand you can always rip clean the tank), so I wouldn't worry too much about that for now. That's just me though.

Also, more just as an aside to my post above (and to partially address your other stated concerns), I'd say to be cautious when taking advice from an LFS, as - while they might mean well (some do, some don't) - their advice isn't always sound (as I'm sure plenty of people here on the forum can tell you). For example, a quick search on Google tells me that Prazipro doesn't actually treat ich, so, while they likely meant well, the medicine they suggested wouldn't actually help in this case. So, I'd take what they say with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps!

KeepSwimming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have put a lot of thought into a really solid set up. It’s possible that all you are missing is an equally solid quarantine protocol. You may need to give your tank a fallow period and use that time to quarantine another round of new fish. The supply chain is infected with a variety of diseases that can lay dormant for a week or two and then wipe out your tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on why the 3 new fish seemed great the first 6-7 days, eating good and then within 24 hrs. are going down hill FAST? What could cause this?
Curious how long it takes or if there are too many variables to calculate ….
If x number fish in a x volume tank .
hoe much ammonia do they produce
Could it take days to reach lethal levels ?

Back