Do I have any Copods or Amphipods?

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 3 years old. I was thinking of some sort of Dragonet but don't know if there is stuff they eat in the tank. How do you find out and where do you look?
Thanks

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely have some. Play safe. Order some to top up. I have done this over 2 months from a weekly pod subscription. Cost me about £4-5 / week. In that way you can be sure you have the right kind and amount. Feed the tank with phytoplankton that feeds the pods too.

Of course you can start your own in refugium if you have one.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start your tank with live rock? If you have copapods you should be able to see them. Take a scraper for cleaning the glass and run it across the tank once. You should see a bunch of pods scurrying around where your scraper pushed them too. Have you looked into making a baby brine shrimp feeder?

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 3 years old. I was thinking of some sort of Dragonet but don't know if there is stuff they eat in the tank. How do you find out and where do you look?
Thanks

like everyone else said you probably have them already.

You dont need a magnifying glass, I see a few on nearly every inch of the glass on all sides 24/7. If you dont see that I'd say its more likely you need glasses than that you don't have any pods in a 3 year old tank.

Just my two pence, how big is your tank and do you have other fish that would compete w the dragonet? A mandarin needs a ton of pods, the ruby dragonets seem to need less but they also stay closer to the ground so wont have as much foraging space amongst the higher rocks like mandarins do.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need a magnifying glass, I see a few on nearly every inch of the glass on all sides 24/7. If you dont see that I'd say its more likely you need glasses than that you don't have any pods in a 3 year old tank.
Lol

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like everyone else said you probably have them already.

Just my two pence, how big is your tank and do you have other fish that would compete w the dragonet? A mandarin needs a ton of pods, the ruby dragonets seem to need less but they also stay closer to the ground so wont have as much foraging space amongst the higher rocks like mandarins do.
I have many small things and I do need glasses and sometimes a magnifying glass to see small life close

Attachments

• 3423646C-6E52-4D4F-9788-C06F9397236C.jpeg
    3423646C-6E52-4D4F-9788-C06F9397236C.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 20

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back