Do i have some fish disease spreading, or is this just damage?

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... i have a resplendent anthias that is a male and normally very out front and eats very very well. Yesterday i noticed he wasnt eating. He kind of hovers in the shadows at feeding time, and looks at the food as it floats past him. Today as well. Then i looked today and noticed he has what looks like an injury on his side. A couple scales and disturbed and the area is kindof risen a tiny bit. He normally darts about so this could definitely be damage. B..U..T...... what really has me concerned is just about a week and a half ago, i had the same exact thing happen to a newly added lyretal anthias. She was extremely healthy, ate very well then she just appeared with this similar damage and stopped eating. She seemed to have a little bruising around hers though and she died within 2 days. Her last day she was breathing hard and hiding at the base of my rocks then died.
So, .. is there a disease like this? Or am i overreacting?
20230805_171618.jpg
20230805_171618.jpg
20230805_171616.jpg 20230805_171608.jpg

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds and looks like aggression in both cases to me. Anthias can be nasty to each other.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like Uronema to me and it’s common for anthias to get that. Unfortunately there is no cure at this stage.
I looked it up, you could maybe be right, but in my other fish it definitely did not look as bad as those pictures i saw online. But there was a light bruising so ..maybe. if i feed my fish metroplex do you think it could help ? I have some onhand that i bought for my fish medicine cabinet. Also, would fresh garlic juice help? Garlic kills parasites and bacteria far as i have heard.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds and looks like aggression in both cases to me. Anthias can be nasty to each other.
My anthias have not been aggressive from what ive seen. They swim together closely, But the male does frequently do a quick dart over the females every so often. Just to say ..he's the man.He is so fast it is very possible he hit a rock. I do have alot of rock in my tank. I love my anthias. So i hope it isnt anything else

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked it up, you could maybe be right, but in my other fish it definitely did not look as bad as those pictures i saw online. But there was a light bruising so ..maybe. if i feed my fish metroplex do you think it could help ? I have some onhand that i bought for my fish medicine cabinet. Also, would fresh garlic juice help? Garlic kills parasites and bacteria far as i have heard.
Best thing you can do IMO is to get him to a QT and try the metro route. I don’t think feeding food with metro helps bc it’s not internal. Garlic for sure won’t help as it’s just a food additive. At this point you want to thinking about how to save the rest from getting it.

Also metroplex isn’t the best choice as it’s not pure metronidazole. You want to get…, I forgot the name but you can get it from Allivet.com.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias have not been aggressive from what ive seen. They swim together closely, But the male does frequently do a quick dart over the females every so often. Just to say ..he's the man.He is so fast it is very possible he hit a rock. I do have alot of rock in my tank. I love my anthias. So i hope it isnt anything else
I have a harem of lyretails. Had 5 at one time. One male the rest females. All was fine for a year. Then out of nowhere the 3 dominant females murdered the smallest one. I watched it happen. They pinned her under my rock work and took turns attacking her. Nothing I could do. A few months went by everything was fine. Happened again. Now I have 3 left. Only 1 female as the other one has since transitioned. It's not going to end until there's one left. From my experience and what I've been told that's normal for them. I've been told if you want one buy five. I tend to believe that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So... i have a resplendent anthias that is a male and normally very out front and eats very very well. Yesterday i noticed he wasnt eating. He kind of hovers in the shadows at feeding time, and looks at the food as it floats past him. Today as well. Then i looked today and noticed he has what looks like an injury on his side. A couple scales and disturbed and the area is kindof risen a tiny bit. He normally darts about so this could definitely be damage. B..U..T...... what really has me concerned is just about a week and a half ago, i had the same exact thing happen to a newly added lyretal anthias. She was extremely healthy, ate very well then she just appeared with this similar damage and stopped eating. She seemed to have a little bruising around hers though and she died within 2 days. Her last day she was breathing hard and hiding at the base of my rocks then died.
So, .. is there a disease like this? Or am i overreacting?
20230805_171618.jpg
20230805_171618.jpg
20230805_171616.jpg 20230805_171608.jpg
This not uronema but rather a scrape injury as you may notice, anthias tend to chase each other and fight at feeding. You also just dont toss metro into a tank should it be needed as it has to be used precisely. Fish should be able to be treated in tank with Ruby rally pro to prevent infection and control gash/injury progress.
Uronema is ciliated and oval and does not meet the blemish on fish. Assure proper diet given although other members in pic look good

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried catching him to quarantine, just in case, but its not gonna happen. Too smart, too fast, too many things to knock into. Plus i dont want to stress my other fish. Everyone is very happy , very healthy and eating great. Stressing them all out may cause worse issues. Hopefully it is just Aggression that im not seeing. But since that ueroma thing... if its that, is a parasite and metroplex treats it, then i may just feed all my fish with metroplex soaked food for a bit to help it not spread to the other fish. Garlic is healthy for them, so why not add a bit of the fresh juice as well.
Ill keep a very close eye on him, as i always do on my aquarium. I am semi addicted to that small world in there.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This not uronema but rather a scrape injury as you may notice, anthias tend to chase each other and fight at feeding. You also just dont toss metro into a tank should it be needed as it has to be used precisely. Fish should be able to be treated in tank with Ruby rally pro to prevent infection and control gash/injury progress.
Uronema is ciliated and oval and does not meet the blemish on fish. Assure proper diet given although other members in pic look good
Thanks... that helps ease my stress so much. I wouldnt put metro in my entire tank anyways. Only by food, very sparingly to be sure they dont leave any uneaten because i do have hermits and shrimp. So im hoping it wont come to that.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias just doesn’t stopping eating out of the blue so I wouldn’t count anything out at this point. They are also known to fight so you could have a combination of both - a wound from an unknown origin and some residual effect from fighting/scrapping. In any case if it is indeed uronema or other bacterial infection, it’s already in your DT. Will all fish for sure catch it? No and a healthy diet/immune system will help them so feeding them well plus keeping your water quality high is one way to go about this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long have you had the anthias? Uronema is most common on newly acquired anthias. Metronidazole doesn't seem to cure it and garlic definitely will not help. Chloroquine may stop it from spreading, but you cannot use that in a tank with invertebrates.

Here is an article I wrote on Uronema:

Jay

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias just doesn’t stopping eating out of the blue so I wouldn’t count anything out at this point. They are also known to fight so you could have a combination of both - a wound from an unknown origin and some residual effect from fighting/scrapping. In any case if it is indeed uronema or other bacterial infection, it’s already in your DT. Will all fish for sure catch it? No and a healthy diet/immune system will help them so feeding them well plus keeping your water quality high is one way to go about this.
Thanks. Very sensible. Water change and filter replacements tomorrow for sure.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the anthias? Uronema is most common on newly acquired anthias. Metronidazole doesn't seem to cure it and garlic definitely will not help. Chloroquine may stop it from spreading, but you cannot use that in a tank with invertebrates.

Here is an article I wrote on Uronema:

Jay
Very informative and scary article. I really hope it is not that. i have had my anthias for i guess at least 8 months. They are very healthy and great eaters. i added a new one about 2 weeks ago that was extremely healthy, very good eater and vibrant for the first week. Then it got an injury, from what i thought and quickly went down. Then, now almost 2 weeks after, my very healthy anthias male shows up with this similar injury. No bruising though. Im really hoping it is just an injury. I will have to keep a close eye and post back any changes in a few days. It is a possibility maybe theres some Aggression going on that ive missed so we'll see i guess. But thank you for the info. It definitely gives some insight. Either way.. i will probably miss alot of sleep tonight since i dream aquarium all night every night. Haha.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. turns out it was uronema. The fish died this morning and luckily i was able to pull it out just before it died. It was on the bottom in the corner and easy to grab. I had hoped i could possibly treat it, but within minutes it just died.
I am very afraid my other fish will get it. This is the second one so far. I did start feeding all of my fish metroplex 2 days ago and plan to keep it up for 2 to 3 weeks hoping it will kill any parasites inside if the get them. At the moment all fish are very healthy so ... fingers crossed. I dont want to treat my whole tank. I have crabs, hermits, shrimp that i care about. The sick fish never took a bite. No eating at all. Just like the first one. And not bruising around the scraped area until this morning. Alot of bruising and near the fins.
Anybody know anything else i can do that wont hurt invertebrates? And catching them all for treatment is out of the question.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. turns out it was uronema. The fish died this morning and luckily i was able to pull it out just before it died. It was on the bottom in the corner and easy to grab. I had hoped i could possibly treat it, but within minutes it just died.
I am very afraid my other fish will get it. This is the second one so far. I did start feeding all of my fish metroplex 2 days ago and plan to keep it up for 2 to 3 weeks hoping it will kill any parasites inside if the get them. At the moment all fish are very healthy so ... fingers crossed. I dont want to treat my whole tank. I have crabs, hermits, shrimp that i care about. The sick fish never took a bite. No eating at all. Just like the first one. And not bruising around the scraped area until this morning. Alot of bruising and near the fins.
Anybody know anything else i can do that wont hurt invertebrates? And catching them all for treatment is out of the question.

Uronema

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that this happened but soaking food with metro likely won’t work IME. To really save the rest of the fish assuming that they either have it already or will be getting it, you will need to pull them and treat them in a QT. I use Aqua-Zole as it’s pure metronidazole where metroplex isn’t pure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear it is spreading, that is unusual.

Metroplex needs to be dosed at a therapeutic rate, you cannot just mix some in with the food - your dose might be too low or too high. One dose is 100mg metro per kg of fish mass. That is very difficult to calculate. Another dose is 1/2 to 1% in the food by weight and feed that to the fish daily for three days. Trouble is, metro is very bitter, and when you get up around 1%, the fish stop eating it.

Here is an article on medicated foods:

Jay

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Metroplex needs to be dosed at a therapeutic rate, you cannot just mix some in with the food - your dose might be too low or too high. One dose is 100mg metro per kg of fish mass. That is very difficult to calculate. Another dose is 1/2 to 1% in the food by weight and feed that to the fish daily for three days. Trouble is, metro is very bitter, and when you get up around 1%, the fish stop eating it.

Jay
Why is the spreading unusual? Isn’t uronema a highly contagious pathogen?

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Thanks, i just used the directions on the bottle. Mixed it with Focus as recommended and added fresh pressed garlic juice. Let it soak overnight. So far they have been eating it up. They keep spitting out a piece every now and then but usually go back for a second bite. Im just hoping to get it into all their bellies while theyre still eating.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back