OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tou don’t need to drill the tank to have a sump. You can use a hang over the back syphon and over the back return lines.

the “sump” is the filter- a basic sump usually has filter socks of filter floss/ sponge, skimmer and a return pump. The water from the tank “over flows” as the return pump pumps it back into tank.

a sump allow you to add thinks like reactors for carbon/ gfo/ or some other media. Or to plumb in UV or any equipment is easier to add to your system.

many sumps these days have built in refugiums- but it doesn’t have to be in the sump- can hang off tank or hang off sump but it’s bacically a safe haven for macro algae’s when your using macro algae to help with Nutrient control.
Hope this helps -
Breaking it down into simplicity really does help. I find alot of times researching, everyone is so scientific about it and I don't even know where there beginning. Thank you!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking it down into simplicity really does help. I find alot of times researching, everyone is so scientific about it and I don't even know where there beginning. Thank you!
My pleasure. There is a massive amount of information to take in when getting into the hobby. Don’t be afraid to ask questions as there are so many knowledgeable and helpful (AWESOME) reefers on R2R. In the beginning it can seem overwhelming (trust me- I was there!) but over time as your pick up little pieces of knowledge - you will develop a broader understanding and the task of “learning reefing” becomes less and less daunting.

my suggestions:
1. Take everything slow: imagine your tank as a large Cruse ship. Can’t make sharp turns. Make little adjustments to slowly turn things into the direction your aiming for. The tank likes stability and quick and major changes may cause more issues then the one your trying to correct. This was my mistake when I started. I was chasing numbers and trying to do everything I read online and watched on YouTube. Dont get me wrong- the info was good- but me trying to make sudden changes was not good. Also it was about a year in until my tank was mature enough (and I was mature enough too lol) to let it stay stable and really to grow corals.

My second piece of advise is always enjoy the hobby. Don’t let your self get stressed over your tank. I did this at every challenge until I realized “hey- I do this because I love this hobby- why am I so hard on my self?” It’s a learning experience- so even your worst mistake will make you a better reefer. And you WILL experience challenges as that’s part of this whole journey- but just know every challenge you over come will leave your that much more prepared for the next challenge.

a wise man one told me “life is about the journey not the destination” this is true in reefing as well.

Take care and happy reefing my friend.
C6CEA398-5FFA-473F-88C9-BB3CB093F8BE.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back