Do I have to have a refugium?

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am running a 125 gallon with a Fluval Fx4 Canister filter. Can you run a success reef tank with just this? What's the total benefit in running one?

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You dont need one to have a successful reef tank. total benefit is nutrient export/safe haven for pods to breed and feed the tank etc. i personally would never have a tank without one.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you don’t have to have a refugium. I don’t have any experience with canister filters. Just hang on back filters for my quarantine. I did run a 100 gallon tank about 20 years ago with nothing but 2 emperor 400’s and a backpack 2. That and a few powerheads. Very minimal.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am running a 125 gallon with a Fluval Fx4 Canister filter. Can you run a success reef tank with just this? What's the total benefit in running one?
You can run a tank anyway you want. I run my tanks with no sump, no skimmer and no filters.

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a tank anyway you want. I run my tanks with no sump, no skimmer and no filters.
So then how do you have it set up? if you don't mind me asking, I'm fairly new to the game.
So just a a bunch of water changes??

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small refugium as a place for pods to breed because I'm planning on getting a dragonet, but a refugium is not necessary although it can help with nutrient export.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuges are primarily set up to contain macro algaes and help reduce nitrate....if thats an issue. Some tanks don't have nitrate issues, or just running a skimmer does it enough. The trend now is heavy import / heavy import and macro algaes help the export side.

Cannisters actually contribute to nitrate unless you clean them frequently.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then how do you have it set up? if you don't mind me asking, I'm fairly new to the game.
So just a a bunch of water changes??
I have lights, powerheads and a heater. I do semi-regular water changes and that’s it. No dosing either. Nice and simple.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you want to keep sensitive corals like sps - and some lps- I think a lot of people run no refugium- no sump even no skimmer and just a canister filter. I’ve never seen an sps tank with this set up- but softy tanks and macro algae tanks I’ve seen with only a canister.

but nutrient control may be your biggest problem. If you have a light bio load and you keep filter clean- I think it’s totally possible. But may require more water changes and filter upkeep. I’ve never tried it my self but I know many people do run tanks that way. Also maybe an air stone or a lot of surface agitation for gas exchange.

what do you plan on keeping in the tank?

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so whats the difference between a sump and a fuge. Seems like everything i look up there usually placed under the tank and drilling a tank is required? Forgive me if I sound completely oblivious to this but that's because I am. I'm keeping my fish alive so i feel like im doing something right lol! :p

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no part of a filtration system that is absolutely required for a reef tank, and you can find people that run successful reefs with any combination of equipment. However there are certain types of equipment that most people use because it makes it easier to keep the tank stable with proper nutrient levels. I would personally never run a tank without a skimmer and a sump but there are some people who do. I currently do not have a fuge, but when designing my filtration system I left a place for one, I just need to add macroalgea to it.
IMO only having a canister filter is possible to run a successful tank but it's going to make it harder to manage nitrate and phosphate levels. Especially if you don't clean that filter regularly.

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you want to keep sensitive corals like sps - and some lps- I think a lot of people run no refugium- no sump even no skimmer and just a canister filter. I’ve never seen an sps tank with this set up- but softy tanks and macro algae tanks I’ve seen with only a canister.

but nutrient control may be your biggest problem. If you have a light bio load and you keep filter clean- I think it’s totally possible. But may require more water changes and filter upkeep. I’ve never tried it my self but I know many people do run tanks that way. Also maybe an air stone or a lot of surface agitation for gas exchange.

what do you plan on keeping in the tank?
To be honest I dont really know yet lol. I am enjoying the hobby and learning at the moment so I think when I finally get that GOT IT point then it may be totally different. Started out wanting Lion Fish. But just wanting to dive deeper!

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so whats the difference between a sump and a fuge. Seems like everything i look up there usually placed under the tank and drilling a tank is required? Forgive me if I sound completely oblivious to this but that's because I am. I'm keeping my fish alive so i feel like im doing something right lol! :p
A sump can have a refugium but doesn’t have to....... There are also hang on the back refugiums and even in tank refugiums.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tou don’t need to drill the tank to have a sump. You can use a hang over the back syphon and over the back return lines.

the “sump” is the filter- a basic sump usually has filter socks of filter floss/ sponge, skimmer and a return pump. The water from the tank “over flows” as the return pump pumps it back into tank.

a sump allow you to add thinks like reactors for carbon/ gfo/ or some other media. Or to plumb in UV or any equipment is easier to add to your system.

many sumps these days have built in refugiums- but it doesn’t have to be in the sump- can hang off tank or hang off sump but it’s bacically a safe haven for macro algae’s when your using macro algae to help with Nutrient control.
Hope this helps -

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium- a place seperate from the display and fish that allows bio diversity and micro fauna ect to grow.

Sump- a tank/area/pit/place something overflows into.

We just use pumps to pump it back up.
Overflows are something your gonna wanna research too. Hths ya
D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back