Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240g tank (including sump)

I live in Arizona, the temp fluctuations are crazy in my house even though I keep my Ac at 76 all day long.

Now I have had 2 pumps installed, 1 return, 1 for UV another pump is coming in for the reactors and that just means introducing more and more heat. Now if you have a party, the AC runs more blah blah...there are several things that can increase your tank temp (atleast for me)

My temp fluctuates from 78 to 82 (with those mini 3 fan crap installed) I mean it works, to bring it down around 1 degree. I am looking to buy a chiller myself (1/4 hp) it will help to bring the temp down by 4 or 5 degrees.

From what i heard, there is no straight forward answer to what hp chiller for specific size of tank.

Higher hp will bring temp down sooner than a lower hp chiller (hence not running ALL the time where as a smaller one needs to run more).
I see! Ill probably hold off on a chiller for now, especially since summer is nearly over. Ill try the other things I mentioned above and see how they work first.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the best option is to chill the room if you have that possibility. That way you can enjoy a comfortable climate and chill your tank at the same time.
I'll see. I want to try a mesh screen and another fan first. Ac is not something is always on in my house.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats accually a pretty good idea! Getting an AC unit just for the room I mean. The cost of operation will probably be the same or simular anyway. Fortunately my tank is right next to a window (not in direct sunlight tho) so venting is easy. Thanks!
If you get the amazon brand window unit those things work great, after Irma in Florida when we had no power it basically cooled the whole house, it’d definitely keep an aquarium cool.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more open the water the more evaporation of the water.
This will and can lead to a large swings on the salinity level.
Yup you guessed it solve one problem and create another.

So do you have an auto top off?

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more open the water the more evaporation of the water.
This will and can lead to a large swings on the salinity level.
Yup you guessed it solve one problem and create another.

So do you have an auto top off?
Yesir! I have a tunze 3155

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to replace my cover (its acrylic). Any recommendations on places that make covers? Its a cube tank.

Bulk reef supply sells 1/4" mesh. Pair that with a trip to your hardware store for the frame, spline, and roller tool.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats accually a pretty good idea! Getting an AC unit just for the room I mean. The cost of operation will probably be the same or simular anyway. Fortunately my tank is right next to a window (not in direct sunlight tho) so venting is easy. Thanks!

This is what I do in Oregon. Keeps it between 77.5 and 79 depending on the heat of the day.

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. But even with evaporative cooling, my tank still reaches 83. Is this an issue?
I have a typical clip on fan pointed at the surface and it can pull my tank down to 77F in 80-82F ambient which is where I keep the house in the summer. So unless you're living without central air at all, which in 100F ambient would be literally dangerous for heatstroke, your not pointing the fan adequately, or its trapped in the sump and can't evaporate. It needs fresh air to exchange with.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a typical clip on fan pointed at the surface and it can pull my tank down to 77F in 80-82F ambient which is where I keep the house in the summer. So unless you're living without central air at all, which in 100F ambient would be literally dangerous for heatstroke, your not pointing the fan adequately, or its trapped in the sump and can't evaporate. It needs fresh air to exchange with.
Thats a fair point. I'll try moving the fan out of my sump.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clip on fans for the sump work wonders IMO. You will drop between 1 and 2 degrees. I live in SoCal and deal with heat too. Have a Chiller too, thought i would need it, now i never use it, bought it for no reason. LOL
fan link
clip on fan.jpg

I seriously use that over this 1/10hp Chiller LOL. It just collects dust.
chiller.jpg

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clip on fans for the sump work wonders IMO. You will drop between 1 and 2 degrees. I also live in SoCal and deal with heat. Have a Chiller too, thought i would need it, now i never use it.
fan link
clip on fan.jpg

I seriously use that over this 1/10hp Chiller LOL. It just collects dust.
chiller.jpg
Hey....now you have a $600+ paper weight lol. Ill look into those fans! How big is your tank total volume?

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey....now you have a $600+ paper weight lol. Ill look into those fans! How big is your tank total volume?
Yeah thats why i kinda dont wanna sell it since ill only get like 300 back haha. My tank is 120, my sump is a 20 or 30 gallon, i forget it's size. I only have 90-100ish pounds of live rock too. The sump fans kick butt. I was at high 82 to the low 83s, and dropped down to 79.5(average daytime) to 78.5(average night time temp) I have the fan on a timer so it shuts off at 5pm
Opening the sump doors really helps to since it allows more airflow, the only issue is more stuff can get in there if you have dogs, cats, etc.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats why i kinda dont wanna sell it since ill only get like 300 back haha. My tank is 120, my sump is a 20 or 30 gallon, i forget it's size. I only have 90-100ish pounds of live rock too. The sump fans kick butt. I was at high 82 to the low 83s, and dropped down to 79.5(average daytime) to 78.5(average night time temp) I have the fan on a timer so it shuts off at 5pm
Opening the sump doors really helps to since it allows more airflow, the only issue is more stuff can get in there if you have dogs, cats, etc.
Gotcha. Thanks again!

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the fans dont cut it...a room a/c unit is half the price of a chiller...can be found used on craigslist a lot easier than a chiller...and will help dehumidify the room too

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the fans dont cut it...a room a/c unit is half the price of a chiller...can be found used on craigslist a lot easier than a chiller...and will help dehumidify the room too
Sounds good! And if I may ask, how does dehumidification help me?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back