Do I need a chiller?

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Sacramento where it gets to 100 degrees a good few times a month and stays in mid to high 90s most of the summer months. My tank is upstairs where temp in pretty inconsistent (thanks to the stack effect :p). I installed a Vornado fan in my sump to do some evaporative cooling and it keeps the tank under 83 to 84 degrees on 100 degree days but between morning and afternoon, the temp swings can range between 75 - 84 (due mostly to the fact that i have not installed a heater yet). Mind you I have no live stock in the tank yet and want to get my temperatures more consistent.

Once I install the heater (my controller is set to 78) Im sure I'll close the gap in the swings to 78-83. Should I get a cooler? If so what HP/ brand would you recommend?

And when it comes to coolers, I heard they heat up the room pretty bad and since this tank lives in my room is there a way I can install some sort of vent out my window so I dont don't have to live in a sauna?

Sorry for all the questions haha :D
Why not do DIY chiller to save a few bucks. Won’t even need to worry about exhaust

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking that one yes. Did you use a lot of hose and keep them rolled up like they come.
Yea, I used about 100 feet, maybe my fridge was not the best? Idk. It did not work as much as I would have liked it to. I felt like my fan did more lol.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back